When is best to introduce another rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spookie.cookie

Hey everyone:

I am planning to adopt another rat to be my current rat's companion. My current female rat is going to be 4 month old soon. She was really shy when I first got her, but she has started to bond with me and stuff. I am planning to get her a friend because I know it's best for her and also school will be starting and I don't want her to be lonely!

My question is:
- when is the best time to introduce another rat? I only have her for a week..
I am ready for another rat, but I don't know if she is. Should I wait for a little longer or it does not matter? She has a clean bill of health too :)

I also have a question about quarantine. My quarantine plan is to put the other rat in hamilton to live with my bf, but I prefer another option if there is because I do not want to trouble him. Is quarantine necessary if you are adopting a rat from a good home and the rat has a history of good health and never been exposed to areas that he/she could catch diseases?

Thanks!

I would get a new rat ASAP for her. They do much better with buddies.
As for quarantine, I would keep her in a separate part of the home for a couple of weeks. No matter if she's healthy in your home, the change to a new home can cause stress on her body and she could develop an illness at that time.
How old is the new rat?

I always take the first few weeks of quarantine to bond with the rat myself. I use the time to discover what kind of personality the rat has, which can help decide the best way to intro them to your new rat. Its also a good time to help them get over any fears they may have of you or their surroundings

Gah isnt the anticipation AWFUL!!

I am looking at getting two girls from a breeder in my area instead of pet store rats, and i am terrified to ask my mother. I recieved an adoption form from the breeder and have spent all day filling it in and i haven't even asked my mum yet.

I think i need to go grow some....

Is it possible to get one or more of her sisters from wherever you got her?

She needs at least one other rat asap.
Rats need to live in groups to feel safe, etc.

nope. i actually saw her and her sister earlier. then, i left to get some pet stuff before adopting them. when i came back, the rest were already taken away :mad: it's lucky that i got her so i won't complain. it's ok though. i'll try my best to get her a buddy, but i do play with her a lot for now. i don't think it's the best thing for her in the long run, but currently i play with her all the time. i even come back in the middle of my working hours to play with her :p

Back