When do mommies stop being so nippy?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicodemusRattus

well, it all started a little over a month ago when I brought home 2 new girls... anyone who's read my other post has read that these 2 girls both surprised me with babies shortly after I got them lol. The first one, Zuki, had her litter only a week after I brought them home, so I haven't had much time to work on socializing her to begin with. Her sister Aurora had her babies about 2 weeks after coming home, so I had a little more time to work with her, and she was warming up and seemed to be a very sweet girl.
Zuki was protective over her babies from the get-go, I frantically searched for a cage to put her sissy in while Zuki was having her (surprise) babies. At one point, Aurora went over to sniff her sister's babies, and Zuki responded by lunging at her sister with an aggressive screech. Luckily I found a cage, and removed Aurora. Anyway... Zuki's been relaxing around us little by little, but I still don't trust her when my hand is in the cage. She gave my boyfriend a nasty bite while protecting her babies that were a week old at the time. Before the babies, she was shy around us, but not aggressive.
And now for Aurora... I only had 2 weeks to work with her before she had her litter, but she was turning out to be a friendly little girl. She got over her shy-ness, and would actually come up to me and sniff me when I opened the door. She was fine with being handled and picked up. So then came her babies, and she became shy and skittish all over again. I felt like the progress I made with this rat had gone out the window. One day I went to clean the cage, when her litter was around 2 weeks old. I had to remove all the bedding, even the nest bedding, because it smelled. My boyfriend picked her up to move her, and she latched onto him. She gave him the nastiest rat bite I've seen in a while. Then the other day when I was feeding her, I opened the door to the cage, she ran right up and nipped me. It didn't break the skin, but I felt it.
Sooo... yea. I realize it's hormones and all, but at what point do mommy rats stop being so over-protective and go back to their normal selves? Aurora was turning into such a sweet little girl before she became a mommy. Will she ever go back to this? And I'm not even sure about Zuki. She wasn't aggressive when I brought her home, but she only had a week to get used to me before the babies, so I'm not really sure what she thinks of me LOL. Aurora's babies are now almost 3 weeks, and Zuki's are 4 weeks. I was thinking about keeping a couple of female babies, will I be able to keep them with their mothers? Or should I just remove all of them for a while after weaning so the parental hormones can relax lol.

That's unfortunate that the girls didn't get a chance to settle in with you before popping babies.
Some mom's are nippy until the babies are fully weaned. But I encourage you to continue to socialize the moms. I would have the two girls have out time together without the babies. They are old enough now to be away from mom for a while. Socialize them during this time.

I would have them out to socialize without the babies, like Jorats said, to work on developing a relationship with them without them worrying about protecting their litters.
You don't have to separate the girls from their moms - the mothers will calm down after a while when the girls get older.
I had the same situation with one of my girls. I just kept a wary eye on her for a while, but she turned into one of my favorite rats!

Thanks guys c: it does appear that as the babies get older, the mommies are a little calmer day by day. Zuki's litter will be 5 weeks old in about half a week, and then Aurora's will be almost 4 weeks.
Aurora is starting to become more like her old self, she has gently sniffed my arm several times when I change the food or play with the babies, and is acting slightly less skittish. She is still very apprehensive about being picked up, I can give her a slight gentle petting, but if I try to pick her up she gets nervous and runs off.
Zuki seems more curious about me now, instead of running away she comes up to me and checks me out... But I'm not sure if she's meaning to sniff me or bite me lol, I haven't given her the chance. That's while she's in the cage though, when I took her out of the cage the other day she made no attempt to bite. I'm still keeping my guard up for a while...

Having never had females, I can't say. But I can say that, after 25 years, my own human mommy is still nippy! That's pretty useless information for you, but just thought I'd mention it... :wink2:

Back