What's the best yogurt for rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I want to try and give my ratties some yogurt from the end of a spoon as a treat, but I don't know which is the best kind.
What flavor yogurt?
Can it have fruit bits in it?
Is Activia brand vanilla yogurt OK? What about organic vanilla yogurt? Yogies yogurt drops?

Thanks in advance!

-Olivia

My rats get lactose free, low sugar yogurt with fresh fruit mixed in. I go for the lactose free since lactose can upset their stomachs, and the low sugar since sugar isn't good for them. (I'd get sugar free if I could find it.)

VNB said:
My rats get lactose free, low sugar yogurt with fresh fruit mixed in. I go for the lactose free since lactose can upset their stomachs, and the low sugar since sugar isn't good for them. (I'd get sugar free if I could find it.)

Sounds good, I'll see if my mom'll pick some up at the store today.

A little late on this, but plain full fat Greek yogurt is much lower in milk sugars than low fat versions, so for a training aid/treat it works quite well. Less preservatives and artificial sweeteners, too :)

I think we give ours dannon strawberry/banana. Good to know about the greek yogurt though cause I buy that for me so I can give them mine....

Mine are not bothered by the lactose. I give them plain yogurt, which they love. No sugar is best. Nowadays they get low fat plain Greek, because that's what's in the fridge for me.

Yes, mine's in the fridge, too, and I do definitely watch the quantities for them because it is full fat and that can quickly load them up with more dietary fat than they need.

gawgeouspaws said:
I want to try and give my ratties some yogurt from the end of a spoon as a treat, but I don't know which is the best kind.
What flavor yogurt?
Can it have fruit bits in it?
Is Activia brand vanilla yogurt OK? What about organic vanilla yogurt? Yogies yogurt drops?

Thanks in advance!

-Olivia

All I can add to what has been mentioned is watch out for added sugar, in all its forms.
As for Yogies yogurt drops, despite the name they are preety much pure sugar and a good thing to stay away from.
There is nothing healthy about them and since rats love healthy treats there are many other things you can give them, like vegs.

My rats (and myself too) love almond milk yogurt. The brand I buy is amande, and the only sugar in it is from fruit that it's sweetened with. No dairy, either.

veggies said:
My rats (and myself too) love almond milk yogurt. The brand I buy is amande, and the only sugar in it is from fruit that it's sweetened with. No dairy, either.

I LOVE Amande. Not sharing it with my boys though! MINE ALL MINE.

It's all good...

Mine like Vanilla Activia best! They have also tried Trix Strawberry/Bannana :joy:

veggies said:
This would be the best for rats. No dairy, no sugar except from fruit. I need to buy some of this stuff. Awesome!

veggies said:

Ohh that sounds great ^_^ do they sell it anywhere or just at organic/specialty stores? I've never heard of it, but sounds like I need to find some lol...

NicodemusRattus said:
veggies said:

Ohh that sounds great ^_^ do they sell it anywhere or just at organic/specialty stores? I've never heard of it, but sounds like I need to find some lol...

My local grocery store has it in their healthy/organic sections. But I haven't seen it everywhere, just that chain of stores. Maybe there's an amande website to help you find distributors?

Back