What to do with a rusted cage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hprats

So, I have a large cage that I picked up used for temporary use while intro'ing. It was in use only a short time...it has some rusting though (the bar spacing is too narrows to be chewed and I kept the cage floors covered while they were in it for 2 weeks).
So is there anything that can be done for it? How much would it cost.
I'm considering undertaking a refurb myself, or selling it...if it can't be fixed up safely, I'll just toss it though. It's really big, with two big doors though, so it seems worth trying to save.

hprats said:
So, I have a large cage that I picked up used for temporary use while intro'ing. It was in use only a short time...it has some rusting though (the bar spacing is too narrows to be chewed and I kept the cage floors covered while they were in it for 2 weeks).
So is there anything that can be done for it? How much would it cost.
I'm considering undertaking a refurb myself, or selling it...if it can't be fixed up safely, I'll just toss it though. It's really big, with two big doors though, so it seems worth trying to save.

I am in the same boat my friend ( my threads a bit further down) I got ti free, anmd it was pretty bad. I pressure washed it then scrubbed for a few hours with an sos pad, a green scrubby and a dish bush. Got off a lot of the rust but not the parts that were rusted in the first place. I'm looking around for a place to sand blast it, one place quoted me 25 dollars. Then you can look for a place to get it powder coated, or you could get some Rustoleum paint and paint it yourself.

Good luck and let me knwo if you figure womthign out

Oh, sweet. I already painted my other rat cage with non-toxic spray paint, it was super easy.
I just wasn't sure, with the rust underneath, if that would be okay....but rustoleam has primer for rusted metal, and is non-toxic once cured.

hprats said:
Oh, sweet. I already painted my other rat cage with non-toxic spray paint, it was super easy.
I just wasn't sure, with the rust underneath, if that would be okay....but rustoleam has primer for rusted metal, and is non-toxic once cured.

We just restored a cage a few months back. Gotta prime it first... this will keep the rust from coming through again. :wink2: I am so glad we restored it too. I really like the cage. It's not as easy to clean as a CN, but it's large and very worth it to keep around. :) I think it cost around $30 for primer and spray paint.

smmmiley said:
hprats said:

We just restored a cage a few months back. Gotta prime it first... this will keep the rust from coming through again. :wink2: I am so glad we restored it too. I really like the cage. It's not as easy to clean as a CN, but it's large and very worth it to keep around. :) I think it cost around $30 for primer and spray paint.

Yup, it also helps to run over the whole thing with some sand paper and then scrub of the rusted areas with the sand paper. It also helps paint stick to it.

Back