What to do, what to do?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilratsy43

Ok so my 35 month old Suri is still rather active, well when she has the energy. She has some hind end degeneration and well she falls a lot these days, so I am not sure what to do with her. Right now she lives in a single CN with her two boys, but I am worried she will fall one of these times and get hurt. At the same time I do not want to move her to a smaller cage because then she would have to be alone and I really feel that would hurt her worse than falling all the time.

I do have Rhys, who does not live with anyone and is in what I would consider a retirement cage, but I really do not want to stress her or him more than I have to. Rhys doesn't exactly understand how to interact with other rats and well Suri is still a tough girl. Although I do think I could eventually have them integrated, I would hate to change everything on her at this stage in her life...

I do have some cage options, but I am not sure what would work best...
I could move Rhys into my extra martins and then move Suri into the retirement cage, but is that fair to take away all of her friends when she is getting near the end?
I could also put the boys in with her so she is not alone, but the cage is barely meant for 1 rat, let alone 3...

Does anyone have any suggestions? I want my Suri to be as happy as she can be at this time in her life....

I'd keep them together. What about putting her and the boys in a retirement cage for the time being?

Thats probably the best bet, but the cage is pretty small...like 20" by 32", do you still think that is ok for the 3 of them? I mean I know it would only be temporary but I don't want to make them miserable either...

When that happened to my rats, I removed the level in the single FN and that made the perfect retirement cage. You could add some hammocks where only the boys can reach. Or you could leave the level and cover the ramp and next to the ramp add a very low hammock to catch her if she falls.

I will definately give that a try Jo! The problem with Suri is she sets NO limits for herself, I bet if I take out the levels and put hammocks in the top she will still find her way to the hammocks...LOL. I actually have an extra level because my single used to be a double, so if I put both levels in she can't really fall very far! See you guys have me thinking now!!! Thanks!

That's a good idea too! I was going to mention to also lower the level. Not moving her would be best for her but right now you've got to do what's safest for her. :nod:
I have had rats with mild HED live in a full FN with strategically placed hammocks.

Latest posts

Back