What the best?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblz_94

What is the best cage or 2 rats to live in? I herd every one likes the C.N. But i saw a F.N. (Ferret Nation) are these the same? What the different? What would be the best cage for rats?

The FN is the same as the CN but it has wider bar spacing. With an FN you may need to cover it with mesh if your rats are small enough to slip through the bars.

A single FN/CN can fit up to 6 rats (most people will do no more than 5) and the double units twice as much.

Edit: The best cage for rats is a matter of preference and situation. Many people are very happy with their CN/FN (myself included) but some prefer Martin's or Superpet-style cages.

FN cages and CN cages are both made by Midwest also, and CN cages snap together as opposed to FN's who need to be assembled with tools. Like Victoria said you'll probably need to mesh you FN if you choose that cage, but there's an awesome tutorial on that here on the site.

Also, something to consider is the fact that the FN pan doesnt hold litter, most people line theirs with a fitted piece of fleece or purchase or make bigger pans for the bottom that can hold the bedding of your choice.

I love my FN though, it's an amazing cage (and only cost me 80 bucks used on craigslist!). The huge front doors make cleaning so easy and it has so much room!

KatTheHippie said:
FN cages and CN cages are both made by Midwest also, and CN cages snap together as opposed to FN's who need to be assembled with tools. Like Victoria said you'll probably need to mesh you FN if you choose that cage, but there's an awesome tutorial on that here on the site.

Also, something to consider is the fact that the FN pan doesnt hold litter, most people line theirs with a fitted piece of fleece or purchase or make bigger pans for the bottom that can hold the bedding of your choice.

I love my FN thouh, it's an amazing cage. The huge front doors make cleaning so easy and it has so much room!

Actually, the new FNs come together in the same way as CNs and they have scatter guards so you can use litter if you like.

Midwest came out with a bunch of changes recently, Rissa summed them up well here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24310

Back