What i feed my rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh goodness, I'm so sorry! Unfortunately I really don't know Portugese at all - it's further from French in terms of vocabulary. Spanish I can sort of understand if I'm reading it, same with Italian. But your English IS really good!

There are some prejudices about rats everywhere in the world, I think - I imagine everyone here can tell you at least a few stories about others' reactions. My own was with my mother - the first time she saw my first rats, she screamed and jumped two feet in the air! Now though, she really does like them - she loves hearing stories about their antics, and she lets them sniff and lick her hand.

And yep, that is a hooded rat. :) The stripe down the spine is always there, but it can be broken like in that picture, or go further down the sides. If it goes further down the sides (usually in patches, almost never symmetrical!) it's called hooded variegated. And if the hood doesn't go down the shoulders at all, it's a cap-stripe. Currently I have one of each of those types, lol, and a siamese dumbo (large ears further down the sides of the head).

Here's a good page with photos and descriptions of each type of marking:
http://www.dreameyce.com/eagleseye/ratt ... rkings.htm

M0onkist said:
Oh goodness, I'm so sorry! Unfortunately I really don't know Portugese at all - it's further from French in terms of vocabulary. Spanish I can sort of understand if I'm reading it, same with Italian. But your English IS really good!

There are some prejudices about rats everywhere in the world, I think - I imagine everyone here can tell you at least a few stories about others' reactions. My own was with my mother - the first time she saw my first rats, she screamed and jumped two feet in the air! Now though, she really does like them - she loves hearing stories about their antics, and she lets them sniff and lick her hand.

And yep, that is a hooded rat. :) The stripe down the spine is always there, but it can be broken like in that picture, or go further down the sides. If it goes further down the sides (usually in patches, almost never symmetrical!) it's called hooded variegated. And if the hood doesn't go down the shoulders at all, it's a cap-stripe. Currently I have one of each of those types, lol, and a siamese dumbo (large ears further down the sides of the head).

Thanks, but i still think that i need to improve it hahaha, when i tell that i have rats as pet, people always say that they are dirty and have diseases =X

That link contains some amazin races, i want a masked right now :cry:

well, i visited every natural food store here in my city, i count not find many of the ingredients of the maak recipe, then i ordered labina, but will arrive only in 15 days :wallbang:

can i give that dog food in the first page until the Labina arrive?

:?

ectopistes said:
M0onkist said:

Thanks, but i still think that i need to improve it hahaha, when i tell that i have rats as pet, people always say that they are dirty and have diseases =X

well, i visited every natural food store here in my city, i count not find many of the ingredients of the maak recipe, then i ordered labina, but will arrive only in 15 days :wallbang:

Feeding straight dog food would be way too high in protein and may cause a few issues.
I think I would just continue feeding the mix you are feeding them now while you wait for the labina.

MMak said:
ectopistes said:
M0onkist said:

Feeding straight dog food would be way too high in protein and may cause a few issues.
I think I would just continue feeding the mix you are feeding them now while you wait for the labina.

hum, but labina has more protein than that dog food no? the dog food that i talk about has 22% of protein, but if you think its better give the mix, i will, thanks

The problem with dog food is that it's not energy dense enough for rats. Rats need their energy source to come from grains and not from fat and protein like it is in dog food.

Yes, what Joanne said..

I'm also thinking, in the long run, that Labina would be healthier due to the larger variety of rat-appropriate nutrients.

Back