• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Rat Shack and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

What do you Think?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharlees rattakisses

As most of you know I am on disability and have a very tight budget.
As well as paying off my new computer I also want to save up for possible future vet care.
I was thinking of offering my services for rat boarding for fellow Shackers in Toronto and the GTA.
I have done this a couple of times before and It's something I know I'm good at.
I have no idea what to charge for this service.
What do you think?
Any ideas welcome. :cuddle:

I have no ideas! but it is always good to have someone you know watch them for you so it might work :)

I think that's a great idea... but since you have rats as well you'd need to find a way to keep all the rats safe, yours and the ones being boarded.

jorats said:
I think that's a great idea... but since you have rats as well you'd need to find a way to keep all the rats safe, yours and the ones being boarded.

The rats health and safety will always be paramount.
I would only take in one boarder family at a time.
Having a rat room is fine but I wouldn't want to go overboard and take more than I can handle.
I will try it and see if it's possible.
The money would be great but not at a rats expense.

do you like other animals like cats or dogs?
are there other small animals or birds that you could board, that would not pose a threat to your rats?

perhaps you could offer sitting for them?

I know pet sitters around here charge $15 and up, per 15-20 min visit, when they come to your house-
to feed, water, walk dogs, etc

I don't know what they charge for in home boarding.

Edited to add: you've already got lots of two legged boarders, I hope they are chipping in! :hugs:
if not, they really should be :nod: :wink2:

I would be concerned about the risk it poses to your rats. Unfortunately you can never be 100% sure when bringing a rat into your house. Even if they haven't gotten any new rats in the last month you would also have to be 100% sure they hadn't come into contact with any other rats (pet stores, friends rats etc.) in the past month. It's not impossible but would be very complicated.

Petunia said:
do you like other animals like cats or dogs?
are there other small animals or birds that you could board, that would not pose a threat to your rats?

perhaps you could offer sitting for them?

I know pet sitters around here charge $15 and up, per 15-20 min visit, when they come to your house-
to feed, water, walk dogs, etc

I don't know what they charge for in home boarding.

Edited to add: you've already got lots of two legged boarders, I hope they are chipping in! :hugs:
if not, they really should be :nod: :wink2:

I would only offer boarding to Shackers.
So far I have done it for people I have met on here.
I would only offer for rats though.
My two legged boarders don't clean up after themselves but Holly helps.

Back