What are the most important nutrients for baby rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruxxy

I want to make sure that my new babies are getting enough nutrients. What are the most important nutrients to include in their diet? I know protein is important...but what else? What about Calcium?

I would think high protein high calcium is needed.

This is what i have been feeding the moms and babies:

Every night they get:
-president's choice organic baby cereal mixed with soy milk
-organic baby foods
-fresh veggies

Plus one of the following proteins:
-eggs
-freeze-dried liver
-dried fish
-freeze-dried chicken
-very small amounts of yogurt and cheese

Plus their oxbow/nutriblocks are available always as well as some dried pasta and other treats.

I use harlan 2014. I'm not too sure if thats enough protein (?) for babies but I might end up adding a mealworm or a butterworm to their diets twice a week just for a little extra protein.

We give babies lab blocks, vegs, a bit of fruit and baby ceral. The occassional bit of egg once in awhile.
Make sure lab blocks are available at all times.
Good to use both a water bottle and a water dish as small babies may look like they are getting water out of a water bottle but may not be strong enough to actually get any water.

At 4 weeks, since mom didn't require as much food, i didn't give as much protein. The babies are still getting the baby cereal and veggies and smaller amounts of animal products, not everyday.

So straight blocks and veggies are enough for growing babies when they go home? I thought they would need higher protein....interesting.

I've heard people say that extra protein isn't really nessicary but I have also heard people say that extra protein is important during the main stages of growth. I guess its more of a personal choice.

We were told that supplementing the regular diet (lab blocks vegs a bit of fruit) with baby cereal daily is good for the first 3 months.

I just recently read a report a Chinese report that states a weaned rat can go as low as 5% protein.
This study was about giving cancer to rats. Rats with given higher protein went on to develop the cancer but rats kept on a very low protein like 5-10% did not develop the cancer. The scientist believes that if a living being on the most optimum diet will not go on and develop cancer.

Thats interesting.

Were the rats fed this diet their entire lives? I can imagine that a rat fed a high protein diet its whole life would delelop cancer, but what about extra protein at certain stages of life, primarily during development...would it still increase the risk of cancer?

Remember, the rats were given aflatoxin in the first place. Those on a high protein diet went on to develop cancer while those on a low protein diet didn't. The study was short term. But the conclusion was that rats fed an ideal diet will not develop cancer from toxins. Their studies showed that 5 to 10% is the ideal protein level.

Harlan made the 14% ...their nutritionist dis write that most people can't accept that lower protein is better which is why they made the 16%.
I don't know why it's not common knowledge that low protein is optimum.

Back