What am I gonna do with my older lady?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christie

So my older lady rat is gonna be 2 very soon. I also have 3 youngsters. I'm just wondering, soon shes gonna be really showing her age. Shes gonna start slowing down as well. Is she still gonna be comfy in her double FN with her 3 younger sisters? Will she still be able to climb the ladders and whatnot?

I havnt had any experience with older rats and need peoples advice about her comfort. Thank you so much :hugs:

I've had a lot of 2 year old rats that are just as active as the younger ones. I would say leave her be... but keep an eye on her. It might be very hard for her to lose her cage buddies so best for her to adapt.

Its best to get her intro'd to them sooner than later, she'll be fine, and later on the youngsters may caer for her in her older age. Just watch how they treat her later on. :)

I would leave her with her pals too. They might help her to feel younger longer :)

As she starts to slow down, you could always cover the ramps with fleece, and hang hammocks next to the levels, in such a way so you don't have to worry about her stumbling and falling.

Back