What a Relief

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinderwolf

My city has finally banned the sale of puppies in pet stores. I'm so relieved to hear this, because every time I walk into a pet store, It breaks my heart to see the way they treat those animals. They keep the dogs in tiny cages( smaller even then the cage I have for my rats.. for big dogs. with leaky water bottles and feces everywhere, often with more then one dog per cage. It is heart breaking. Hopefully the dogs they have 'in stock' when the ban is put into place will get put into good homes or good rescues and will live good lives , while not being replaced by more. I just wish they will extend the ban to ALL animals. I was in the pet shop the other day ( looking at toys, though I ended up buying from zellers after seeing the animals..) and I wen tot look at the rats and rodents. They had 2 rats that looks sickly in a tiny aquarium and they had about 40 or 50 little mice in an aquarium the same size :sad3: Breaks my heart.

Yeah, breaks my heart too to see crittes in a pet store cause you know they come from a place where it's all about the most income for the least outlay, and in the petstore they're going home with whoever has the price, never mind where the kid is going.
I got digital TV and paid extra just to get the Animal channel a couple years ago, but Friday I noticed a new channel PetTV! I hope its available to everyone, not just digital , cause the rescue shows sure will teach people.

Yes, I hope that everyone will get educated on rescues, because in the end, there are so many pets in need of homes, we should be focusing on them rather then making more babies. :sad3: 2 of my pets where from an accidental litter and 2 we rescued from a feral momma who was too sick to look after them ( all 4 cats) . I can't think of a better feeling then knowing you took in an animal who needed a home and made their life better. I wish the world would realize animals aren't merchandise :(

I grew up on animal planet, It's my favourite channel and I default to it whenever I ca. I haven't seen this pet tv though :?

That's great news...I wish all pet stores would adopt this...I always see this sign for a small chain pet store here saying Puppies! New Weekly! or some crap...I haven't gone in, and don't plan on it though.
It's funny, cuz I never really thought of my cats as "rescues" but in a way they were...Our big boy Cheeto was from a friend's relatives unwanted litter (though god forbid you try to explain getting her spayed or not letting her out..again) and our little girl Pringle was dropped off at our house before we moved cuz one of our friends thought our 17yr old (hippie) roommate would want a cat for Christmas...He didn't obviously and did not know how to care for her, so we took her before he could drop her at the SPCA...I have looked at breeders for cats and dogs, but would definitely prefer to adopt/rescue when possible....

I never really considered mine rescues before either but then i got thinking about it and it made sense.
It makes me sad that people think spaying and neutering animals isn't important. :(

Can't wait for it to be a nationwide ban over there...It's highly frowned upon here (not sure about banned, but you do need to jump through hoops for the license to sell kittens...). I saw puppies in a pet shop in NYC and was devastated. I'd never seen anything like it...or smelled anything like it. I needs to stop.

Back