What’s wrong with my baby

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julissa

last night i heard noises from the cage so i got up & my baby was in his hide i think twitching so when i picked it up he was drooling & i went to touch him & he jumped like he didn’t know it was me like he couldn’t see maybe i’m not sure. i don’t know if it was seizure or a stroke. he just turned one a couple of weeks ago. should i take him to the vet ? please help

Is he still drooling.? And is he opening his mouth and pulling his ears back at the same time.? He could have choked on something and is attempting to remove it. Rats don't have a gag reflex so they drool as a lubricant to push it back up

Is he still drooling.? And is he opening his mouth and pulling his ears back at the same time.? He could have choked on something and is attempting to remove it. Rats don't have a gag reflex so they drool as a lubricant to push it back up
it lasted for about 2 minutes , & yes is mouth was kind of opened. this would be the second time it’s happened

it lasted for about 2 minutes , & yes is mouth was kind of opened. this would be the second time it’s happened
Did you switch his food or do u give him a new goodie? U may want to learn about inducing vomitting or!!! As I learnt the hard way, when it doubt - go to the vet.

Choking happens to rats a lot. It's frightening to see but most rats work it out themselves. They will drool and retch with the mouth open and down and their ears pulled back. You just watch and wait. Most just want to be on their own to work it out. It often happens when they eat something sticky (like unthinned peanut butter) or something doughy like bread, rice,, potatoes etc. Some rats will just bolt their food and choke. Anything that fills your mouth and makes you reach for a drink it's best not to give your rat.

Also, you can't induce vomiting in a rat, since they have no gag reflex, and can't vomit.

Back