Went to the vet's today-I get so dumb when I'm there

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicky82

Well, I took Chimo to the vet's today because he's been itchy again and scabby :cry: I thought it might just be dry air or something but no such luck. Dr.O'Connor took some samples and examined them under a microscope but he didn't take a skin scraping because the boys were freaking out already he said he didn't see mites but I've seen brown things moving on Chimo's skin when you look real close so the Dr. gave both of them a shot of Ivermectin and gave me more to give them 10 days from now orally. :( my poor dudes

I was so full of questions, observations etc. before we went but as soon as I got in the examining room, it all went out the window, I think it may have something to do with doctors and because he knows more about animals then I do (even though I know not everyone is right all the time) but Dr. O'Connor is a good vet.

So, is Ivermectin a good choice? :?: is there anything I should look out for? should I mix it in with something in 10 days? what should I use? any cage precautions? I plan to wash everything and freeze toys and things tomorrow :x

On a poor boy note, my berk Coal is a real complainer and will squeak at anything that displeases him, so when Dr.O'Connor picked him up to check him, he expressed his displeasure and when the vet gave him a shot in the bum, WOW!!! did he ever squeak!!! it was the loudest I think I've ever heard him and that in turn freaked out my PEW Chimo (who's usually the quiet one ) and it was Chimo's turn next but he just let out a little peep when he got the shot :)

The only real downside was the cost of the visit :roll: it wasn't a 2 for 1 visit and the meds weren't expensive, oh, well, I :heart: my boos

Edit: the med dose is .02ml

Ivermectin is the easiest med I've ever given. Cause it's such a tiny amount I just mix it in something they like on my finger. And it's cheap enough to experiement with to find what theyn do like. CoolWhip has never let me down with Ivermectin and any kid. I buy the can cause the duedate is longer.

So you will get a diagnosis about their skin back soon?
I use olive oil in their food sometimes ( usually in their brown rice but sometimes even on salad)

P.S. Last time I went to the vets I went armed with info.
she made me feel like hypochondriac laying my unfounded worries on my kid.
Getting treated like you're dumb by a health prefesionionsl has no relation to you actually being dumb, ok?

That is one thing I find that there is no 2 for 1 visit with him but I like him too. I treated my rats once for mites but I used the horse paste. Sorry I can't remember the name right this second . I hope the boys will be better soon.

Ann

Ann I think it is Ivermectin. That's what we give our ratties too.
I did have to take some ratties in to the Vet and she treated them for mites with an Ivermectin shot. It was 44.00 dollars each rat, and they have to get a second dose 7 to 12 days after. But I had no choice since I had got them from the SPCA. They have their rules and regulations. lol

Ivermectin is perfectly safe with rats, especially when dosed by a vet.

I sure do know what you mean about vets and forgetting your questions. In the beginning, it was like that with me as well and I felt kind of stupid asking questions that I got from an online site. But as our relationship grew and I kept throwing my money at her, I can now communicate freely with her although, I know some things I just can't change her mind about like her too low a dose for dex and such.

Ok, now I've scrubbed every toy that was in their cage with the hottest water that would come out of the tap, washed, re-washed, rinsed and re-rinsed every piece of fabric that was in their cage and re-washed the spares. Threw out the food, have more in the freezer.
I even gave them a bath :shock: fear poop everywhere!!! , they weren't happy and I'm now covered in scratches :roll: the only thing I have to do is freeze the bedding although I did that when I got it so I'm not sure if I have to do it again :D
is there anything else I should be doing?
also is the ivermectin icky tasting? what should I put it in when the time comes to give it?

On the good side, I'm going to Sudbury tomorrow :D my bf's aunt is going there to watch her grandkid play hockey so I might do some shopping or something :lol:

Sounds like you are doing everything possible.

As for giving the med, I think you'd be better off just squirting it in their mouth, it's such a small amount.

Good luck with your little ones :wink:
Feeling dumb is nothing like actually being dumb, made emergency call 'my baby rat has got Ebola I'm on my way' - dropped the phone and rushed to the emergency vet (who charged me for explaining about porfyrin), or when I went to explane the vet 'my boy sometimes gets this swelling and shortly after he is wet' - vet tried not to laugh and explained to me about birds and bees and how young boys practice to be ready for the ladies, so don't you feel dumb 8)

If you buy a tube of Ivermectin there is a lot in it so look for a due date long in the future and it will work out really cheap in the long run.
You need to squirt the whole tube into something (I use a pill bottle with saran under the cap) and mix the whole lot up really good.
Then you use a bit about the size of a grain of uncooked rice, it is like a paste - so just put it on your finger, they might even lick it off alone as it doesn't taste bad but I never tried that, I just put a little squirt of coolwhip on it and mix it and they lick it off. I expect anything would do in place of coolwhip.

The Ivermectin is in liquid form in a needle-less syringe :D only a little teeny bit to give orally in 10 days. I have to do it right the first time because that's all there is :shock: is there anyway I can make sure they get it all?

Maybe it's different than the way I bought it then? I got it in a big needless syringe from a feed & supply store for horses & such... But if you did too it may only seem to be liquid at the beginning as you need to mix the whole thing up well if it's like what I buy.
I don't know then but if it tastes as ok as the stuff I got you should have no problem mixing it with anything. I like using my finger to make sure they get the whole amount as there is so little to give, but I don't know how much you have to give.
If I was you I'd just mix it in something I already know they like. You could take a tiny taste to see that it's not real yuccky..

Back