Water

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawntheSnipe

Good afternoon,

I'm a new rat guardian and am trying to do right by my girls, but there's a lot of confusing advice out there--I'm hoping some of you will be able to clear up a question that I have.

I've read in a couple of different places that fluorine and chlorine in tap water are toxic to rats, so I checked out my community's most recent water quality report. We have 1.5 ppm of free chlorine and 2 ppm of fluoride in our drinking water. I realize that fluorine and fluoride are different chemically, but I'm not sure whether the people who wrote the guides I've read are aware of it. Can anyone tell me if these levels are unsafe for my rats?

Thank you!

I decided to buy a water distiller to remove everything from the rats' water. I got it at Sears a few years ago. I do have good luck with my rats living past two years of age, but I don't know if the water has anything to do with it.
2 PPM of fluoride is above the recommended level and can cause fluorosis in children's developing teeth. 0.7 PPM is good for people and makes a big difference in the rate of decay.
I don't know about the chlorine.

just get a water filter that attaches to your faucet :] I have a Brita filter, and when I want clean, safe water, all I have to do is flip a switch on the filter that's attached to the faucet. It's made me feel better about giving my rats, parrot, cats, lizards, and dog all safe, clean water, and it's really cut the cost, and environmental damage from buying cases of water bottles all the time.

All my pets and myself get the brita filtered water. I think each area is different. Does it really affect the rats? I don't know, I think so that's why I use a filtered water but that doesn't mean that for sure it will affect the rats. Until a study is done using a control group, we really can't say for certain. A few years ago, member wrote a good article on drinking water. It's worth a read: http://ratshackforum.com/ratroom/health ... obitaille/

My rats always only get bottled, boiled, or filtered(with a fridge) water. :)
There's some cases and reports of tap water causing brain damage, and i've had a few vets ask me if I use tap water. Better safe than sorry, right?

Brita filters will remove chlorine but not floride.

Chlorine is not good for rats.
Fluoride is very very toxic and I have read that it will kill.
Neither should be given to rats

Normal bottled water is harmful to the environment and may be more harmful then your tap water!!
Some stores may sell water that they have distilled in the store.

If you live where fluoride is in the water, you will want to purchase a water distiller - for your health and theirs.

So are you saying bottle of distilled water bought at the store is good for them? I have no idea what is in our tap water.

dspch911 said:
I have no idea what is in our tap water.
Interestingly enough, at home I have no idea about my water, but at my office the municipality sends out a report every year with an analysis which lists everything they test for, what the levels are, and what the acceptable range is.
When we had a well, we would periodically test the water. You can do the same if you really want to know what is in your water.

Back