Water bottle malfunction...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blizzisme

I have a living world water bottle for them. Seemed very well made.
The problem is if I tighten it completely(or even mostly) no water comes down unless I shake the bottle. If I shake it, the tube fills with water, but once they've licked the ball enough times to clear that out it is dry as a bone. If I loosen it about 270 degrees(3/4 of a full turn) then it starts leaking out of the spout around the ball that is supposed to block the tube....

What am I doing wrong???

MaryCayden said:
Is it the glass one?? I have the same problem if it is! No water comes out of it! :emb:

Yes, its the glass one...

I tested and the spout appears clear.
If I hold the top under a tap the water flows through the spout, in both directions. I can blow through it in both directions. I checked for obstructions.
The ball rolls freely.
If I give the bottle a small shake, the spout fills with water, but no more flows into the spout to replace what is emptied.

I have found lots of water bottles to be total duds. they just don't work right.
That's why I always make sure I have a bowl of fresh water in the cage as well.

Blizzisme said:
MaryCayden said:
Is it the glass one?? I have the same problem if it is! No water comes out of it! :emb:

Yes, its the glass one...

I tested and the spout appears clear.
If I hold the top under a tap the water flows through the spout, in both directions. I can blow through it in both directions. I checked for obstructions.
The ball rolls freely.
If I give the bottle a small shake, the spout fills with water, but no more flows into the spout to replace what is emptied.

i´ve had that problem with almost every water bottle I´ve ever had(we don´t have glass bottles here tho)..
Think I´ve had about 7 water bottles in the last 2 years or something, and two or three has worked..
I´ve even had three bottles of the same kind(replacing to see if there was something with the bottle.. others have had NO problems with them).. and none of them worked..

I would exchange it if you can. I stopped using the glass ones because I had so many issues with even brand new ones. But then again, I don't have a chewer that destroys a new plastic bottle in the blink on an eye anymore.

Looks like we found the solution(although we can't really take credit, since it was in the instructions on the replacement unit). It seems to work on the original one though.
After you fill it and put on the cap, you need to use your finger to hold in the ball when you turn it over, and then let the ball drop into place and it works... I'm thinking that if you don't, it probably creates some kind of vacuum seal inside... Who knows though... ;)

Seems to work consistently on the glass bottle that was malfunctioning. Maybe some of you guys who said you had the same problem could test?

Most of my issues with them have been that they leak out entirely in less than an hour (the Superpet ones usually). I'll try that trick with my LW one though.

I am still concerned enough about malfunction that I have at least two water sources per cage. A lot of rats prefer water from a dish, although they tend to mess it up pretty fast.

I had the same problem with a different bottle from living world. :/
It was square and made of plastic with a big metal hook. I just put their water in a bowl now and change it daily.
With only two rats messy water isn't too much of an issue for me.

We buy the plastic ones from WalMart with the black cartoon animals on them, never an issue in the last 8 years. We had one living world glass bottle, and it would flood the cage everytime lol

Back