Watching over me from the Bridge (sorry, long)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelly

This is Perdy. She was one of my first two rats. Her sister Mitts chose me when I was looking at a tank of rats in a pet shop, when I'd decided I wanted 2 ratgirls, then she chose Perdy to come home too. Perdy went to the Bridge at 18 months after having suffered from respiratory problems that didn't want to respond to medication. I can't find a bigger picture at the moment - I didn't have a digital camera then, sorry Perds
perdy_rat.jpg

This is Mitts, my cheeky little girl. I was more scared of her than she was of me in the early days, but that didn't last long. She and her sister were like bright lights in my world, which wasn't black but several shades of dark at that time. Here she was quite an old lady - she was 5 weeks short of 3 years old when she went to the Bridge.
normal_Mitts%20scratching.jpg

Here's Mr Pob - Mitts' boyfriend. He was the first dumbo I'd seen and I fell in love with him. As the girls were spayed I decided to get him. Sadly Perdy was scared of him and he was a naughty spiteful boy to her, but he loved Mitts so much. A month after Perdy went to the Bridge he moved in with Mitts. He was so sweet, but such a starer - I'd feel him looking at me and turn round to see him staring. He adores Arlene and she's often aware of his presence now - they became good friends from the first time she talked to him. He got something wrong in his head losing his balance badly. He left 2 days after Mitts - I don't know how he'd have coped here without her, though. He was around 18 months old
normal_Mr%20Pob.jpg

this is the view where Mr Pob and Mitts are buried. It's such a beautiful place. After my Dad died unexpectedly last October, this was where I wanted to go and sit to find some peace.
normal_Mitt_s%20Resting%20Place%20%283%29.JPG

Just before Mr Pob and Mitts left, when I knew Mitts was getting old and before I realised that Pobby was poorly, I saw a gorgeous little boy at the local pet area in our big garden centre. I couldn't get him out of my mind for 2 days while I was away, and when I saw he was still there when I got back, you just know he had to come home with me. I cried all the way home with him! Zemmi was such a funny little clown - every day he made me laugh and it broke my heart last November, just after Dad's funeral, when I realised he had a PT. He was 20 months old. My funny little man - he was confused when he was little and it seemed fitting but so dreadfully sad that he should be confused at the end. I would say he's up at the Bridge now playing practical jokes, but then I look at Fargo, who came to live with me in May and I wonder..... Here's Zemmi with Floss, who's a roan/husky and almost completely white now
normal_Zemmi___Floss.jpg

I realised Zemmi would be too crazy and busy for Pob, so I went back up to where I got him from and knew there would be someone special there. I was right. Manny came into my life and I knew that whereas Zemmi had come to help me laugh again after losing Mitts and Mr Pob, Manny had come to mend my heart. He did such a good job, his whole life, until he had to leave at around 23 months old. I just came home and found him passed away on the shelf, one hand on the food bowl - he always did love his food. Perhaps he thought he could help me more from the other side than he could here. I can't type too much about him or I'll get leaky eyes
normal_Manny%20toes.jpg

That's who are looking after me from the Bridge, unless some of them have come back - I keep wondering if Fargo is Zemmi, Megan is Mitts and Floss is Perdy. I know Pob is still at the Bridge because I feel him visiting sometimes and I know he often visits Arlene. When I was driving to the pet crematorium with Manny I felt him in the car, then the song "Tears in Heaven" came on, on the CD I'd picked up at random and there was a beautiful rainbow in the sky. I know they're around me often and I know they know how much I love and miss them, and how much I treasured our time together. 'til we're all together again guys.......

So beautiful that you honor your passed babies by sharing them, thankyou. I know mine are all still with me too. I have one that sends me messages when I need them most. (actually the last time MacKenzie reached out was the 22nd when I rushed Wanda to the vet - Vanessa posted a link here to his bruxing video)

Back