Wanda ? - Sept 23/07

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidget

Wanda came into SARS BC Rescue Oct '06 with 20 siblings. She came to me April 17.

She had periodic bleeding problems which became more frequent, she only showed signs of discomfort during the bleeding and the vet gave her good pain meds for that, and she was fine in between. The bleeding stopped Aug 7 when I found a bump on her groin, then they started popping up all over, she was getting 2 antibiotics but the tumors in her belly quickly became very large, both her sides were sticking out so she was practically a round disc and the one on her groin opened Sept 12.

But she was a very brave girl always, even enduring baths & flushings stoicly in the last week. She was so full of life & joy, she only slowed down in the last week or so and just became less active but more cuddly. I agonized over whether to help her over, but she never enjoyed life or food less than before, her eyes and her spirit continued to shine.

I knew friday she was on her way out, but only because her breathing was heavier tho not noisy or difficult. She was beside me in bed yesterday from 2 in the afternoon until she passed, she'd had her pain meds at 3, and I had fallen asleep about 11 but woke at 2:30 this morning to find her gone in the very same place she was when I drifted off, so I know her passing was no more distressing than what she had cheerfully endured for so long. It was a blessing.

Wanda was my little peacemaker, she got on immediately with everyone from my fosterbabies to my challenging old Savanna. Erin was her best friend here. She was such a good girl, never caused me a moment of frustration, she was so gentle, loving & friendly. I wish she could have stayed forever to welcome and befriend every kid that comes, but I'm glad she didn't stay a moment longer in that body.

Sadly little Sumone & Summer will never enjoy her friendship & company when they come, but Wanda's sister Astoria is coming too so perhaps she will care for them as Wanda would have, and it will be so nice to hold Wanda's sister.

For Jo - Thankyou for your help about the prednisone question. Wanda's & my song is The Rain, The Park, And Other Things (better known as Flower Girl) by the Cowsills. It is just so Wanda.
And mamarat, thankyou so much for being my ear & my comfort all thru Wanda's long-term difficulties, as you are with everything

April 17 My 1st picture of my beautiful Wanda right when she arrived:
070417Wanda01.jpg

April 21 with Cheyenne, Hopi & Sioux:
070421WandaGirls10.jpg

June 14 - Those loving soulful eyes of hers:
070614Wanda12.jpg

July 7 - with her best friend Erin:
070721ErinWanda01.jpg

Yesterday - My last picture of Wanda (yes my pj's are filthy, that is the shoulder she lay on her last couple days, so the grime is a badge of honor):
070923Wanda2208c.jpg

Little Wanda, that little ball of fur with those big eyes. I'm so sorry for your loss, Lauren. She knew love in her last months, all thanks to you. :roseopen:

I'm glad she went in such a lovely, peacefull manner.

I know you agonized over her as of late.. now you know you did the right thing, and she would pass when she was ready.

*hugs* to you.

Lauren... I'm so sorry.
She gave you that one last give, leaving before it became so apparent that she would need help. She was a true lady till the end.
Her eyes are so full of love and that's only because of you.

Nothing to do with me - that kid was a Katherine Hepburn dignity & stregth clone from the word Go! I'm honored to have been her safe place.
But I must be in God's good books for him to send her here, eh?

Back