Vesical Protinaceous Plugs and other fun stuff....

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenshae

I posted awhile back about my "foreign exchange student" rat Token, who I'm babysitting for a friend, and I wanted to update and get some advice.

Token is somewhere around a year and a half and is a very lovey, kissy black-hooded squish. And when I say squish, I mean SQUISH. He's huge, and also just *fat*; I've seen rats that are big, but I've never seen one that actually had rolls of fat. Also, he has a particular and very ooky odor that I couldn't figure out.

Jorats suggested I check his penis for a possible plug, and sure enough -- yep. he's apparently had it for so long, the poor guy, that a layer of it had hardened over on top and was white and gooey underneath, like a black-head at the tip of his penis. Not nice at all. I cleaned that up for him as best I could (it's very, very hard to hold down a fat squirmy rat, keep his penis erect, and clean him all at the same time), bu I suspect this will be a recurring problem if he doesn't drop some weight. Anybody know how often I should be checking and cleaning, and have any suggestions on how to make that whole process easier?

Also, lately I've noticed that he sheds, and he seems to be losing hair around one eye. The skin around the eye is darker/reddish and almost...flakey. It might be poryphin, but if it is it's only on that one eye. Here, let me see if I can get a picture....*attempts to wrangle rat, should have waited for boyfriend to come home*

000_0011-7.jpg

Dangling...he doesn't look THAT big in the photos, he's just, like I said, literally squishy.

000_0010-4.jpg

This is a terrible blurry picture, but you can kind of make out that the ring on the one eye seems a little larger than the other?

000_0004-3.jpg

Still more blurry, my apologies. But see how it looks kind of reddish/irritated? Or am I totally seeing things?

Any guesses?

The person who I'm watching him for was very adamant that I not intro him with my other rats because he's supposedly very aggressive, but I'm going to give it a try anyway. My boys are all very laid back and easy to intro, and I think he'd benefit from a bigger cage and younger cagemates to keep him active. I'm not exactly comfortable explaining this to the girl (I don't really know her -- she's a friend of my boyfriend's best friend, I just got involved to help a rat), especially as she hasn't taken an active role in his care since he got here (he's supposed to just be staying here temporarily and she was going to contribute to his care all the time)....but I guess I have to let her know what I'm doing for the health of the rat....*sigh* bah, conflict.

I'm glad this big guy has fallen into your hands for his care. The plug can be daily or weekly, just give him a good sniff daily and you'll be able to tell if he needs it. And there's no easy way to clean it.
His eye looks like he's had lots of porphyrin and so it has burned away some of his fur.

Any guesses why he'd have more poryphin in one eye than the other?

I talked to Courtney about him today, and great news. Apparently she has a bigger cage for him that she'll bring; I guess (since we'd thought this was going to be a short-term arrangement) she had sent him in his travel cage, so he'll get a bigger place to run around no matter what. And she said if I can successfully intro him with my boys that I can but she doesn't think he'll get along with them. So we're good to go with "project rat integration"!

At least she's come around and allowing your to treat him better.
As for the leaky eye, lots of rats get that, it can be an illness, or injury to the eye or just stress.

Back