Very Confused!?!?!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilratsy43

So I was just doing my daily cleaning, and I noticed the rats tube had blood all through it. No one appears to be in distress, Harvey has a few mild scratch/bite marks on him, but he is double rex so that is to be expected. PS I introed Harvey and the new fosters Friday and everyone was getting along well, just a bit of yelling here and there but no blood...until now...

I have looked at everyone but I really don't see who is/could have been bleeding...now I know toes and tails bleed pretty badly but everyone appears to be in good shape...and the blood is only in the tube, no where else in the cage.

Im going to try to get a good look at everyone, but right now I don't see anything out of the ordinary...

that is a puzzle. The only other time I ever found unexplainable blood was the time that I had three young girls with bladder infections (maybe Myco?). But one of them was cool and pale and listless, so it was obvious that something was wrong.

I do have one girl thats a bit quieter tonight...but she is still bright eyed and normal otherwise, I will definately keep a close eye on her...

I think I am going to seperate Harvey for the night...at least until I can figure out whats going on.

Sometimes there's so much porphyrin, it really looks like blood. The tube would make sense for one of them to run in there and groom themselves in peace and cause all that red in the tube.
If not, then I would say someone has a bladder infection but you would see it at the vulva or penis.

I'm probably coming in a little late on this one, but I'd check their ears very carefully too. They can easily nick an ear over a squabble (the do tend to go for the ears first), and it could be down in there a bit. If you don't see anyone with a bloody ear though...I wouldn't guess it bled much.

I would actually be concerned about the little scratches and bites you mentioned. That's not normal for even a rex. Perhaps it could be lice/mites, but if you are seeing scratches/bites from bickering....I think I'd be more concerned it could keep escalating.

Debbie said:
I'm probably coming in a little late on this one, but I'd check their ears very carefully too. They can easily nick an ear over a squabble (the do tend to go for the ears first), and it could be down in there a bit. If you don't see anyone with a bloody ear though...I wouldn't guess it bled much.

I would actually be concerned about the little scratches and bites you mentioned. That's not normal for even a rex. Perhaps it could be lice/mites, but if you are seeing scratches/bites from bickering....I think I'd be more concerned it could keep escalating.

Actually with both hairless and double rex ratties are way more prone to showing their scratches and bites. Harvey is perfectly fine, his minor wounds have healed and he is getting along fine with the rats he is with. As for Rosey that is a different story, she was the bleeding culprit.
Here is more about her situation...viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10043

Sorry, I misunderstood what you said. I took it to mean that you thought it was normal for rexes to HAVE scratches, not SHOW them. Sorry about that.

Back