versele-laga rat & mouse pro

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insectheart

i'm still trying to find a good food for my rat which i can not only afford, but also get out and pick up without needing to make an extra trip. most of what I find are the standard seed, dried fruit and pellet shape mixes that i am fully aware are no good and considering my poor girl grew up on sunflower seeds, dry pasta and puffed rice from the bulk barn before i got her, i think she deserve something nutritious. i picked up this stuff from a belgian brand today while out getting food for the terrarium folk and chems for my fish tank and wanted to get some opinions on it:

Versele-Laga Rat & Mouse Pro

20% crude protein
4% crude fat
5.5% crude fiber
6.5% crude ash
1.1% calcium
0.8% phosphorus

ingredients: cereals, vegetable protein extracts, derivatives of vegetable origin, herbs, seeds, minerals, FOS and yucca-extract.

she also gets lots of fresh fruits and veggies. i learned a lot by keeping herbivores reptiles about nutritional content in vegetables so she gets a good balance. gotta love the power foods: collard and dandelion greens, arugula, chard, kale and squash.

The protein is quite high but if your rat gets loads of veggies to bring that amount down then it should be good.
What about looking for Extrusion, can be available in some Walmarts and Zellers and in some pet stores. It's 16% protein.

i've never seen extrusion for sale here... or any of the other brands listed in the recommendations, though if the pet unimited ever restocked they may have kay-tee as they seem to like that brand... i really hate to give them my business though after all the bs they've pulled with me. the zellers here doesn't sell supplies for any animals other then cats and dogs, and i haven't seen anything but seed at walmart either. the only other options i seem to be able to find consistently would be pricey vegetarian dog kibble at the organic pet store about a 45 min bus ride away. :C i may go that route once i get a more steady stream of income.

between finding rat food, trying to get in to see the one bird vet in the city who won't take more clients, and any finding any decent fish tank supplies, i'm quickly learning that this city does not cater to the -other pet- catagory at all. glad i'm planning to move next year!

the pet food stores are pricey, very pricey. but you can get a 4kg bag of veg dog food at the vet clinic on main for about $30, for my 17 rats it lasts about a month and a half, so it should last much longer for you. any vet clinic would carry it or order it in, i don't know how much they would mark it up though. and as you saw, my rats are doing very well on it.

a year or so ago walmart was selling the extrusion hamster blocks, i don;t know if they still are or not though. i personally do not like it but it has been recommended by others.

that vet is out in hampton, isn't it? my biggest issue is i don't drive so getting around is tough. maybe when this bag runs out i can get you to buy me a bag when you get your own refill?

Global sells Oxbow Regal Rat - excellent food for rats.
Zellars sells 3 Ib bags of Living World/Hagen hamster extrusian blocks - ok block for rats.

As I am sure you are aware, 80% of the diet should be a good quality lab block.
The other 20% daily vegs, and occassional fruit or treats such as cooked oatmeal, cereal, it of boiled egg etc.

insectheart said:
that vet is out in hampton, isn't it? my biggest issue is i don't drive so getting around is tough. maybe when this bag runs out i can get you to buy me a bag when you get your own refill?
nope. she's here in the north end. takes me about 15-20 min to walk it from home. she's in hilyard place. go down the hill by the cbc entrance and her door is on the left. dr alexander is written on the door. she's semi retired now so has limited hours and will be retiring at the end of october but the grooming shop will still be operating and the vet is going to keep her license up so she can have foods ordered and kept at the grooming shop. so the food source will still be there. if you want i can put in a order for a 4kg bag for you when i go into work on tuesday as i also volunteer there.

Back