veggies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewa

My rats dont seem to like veggies. I have tried different ones , like string beans , corn , broccoli , but nothing seems to stick , they seem to love it at first and either take one bite and are done or just never want it again. What should I do ? They need there veggies , but they wont eat them. What are your rats favorite veggies?

We eat veggies with dinner almost every night so I just prepare the boys veggies when I'm doing dinner. Last night they got a mini chef salad w/o the meat & cheese. The first thing they dug out was the boiled egg. :doh: I only put about 3/4 of a egg cut up in the bowl but all 3 of them wanted it all. :giggle: Their favorites seem to be snow peas, fresh carrots, a little romaine lettuce, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, and of course PEAS. They eat anything and everything I give them but those are their favorites.

If the food is new to the rats they might be a little worried about trying it. But eventually when they do try it, they will be pleasantly surprised. One thing you could try and put the new veggie in your mouth, then offer it to the rat. Sometimes a rat must know that they can "trust" the food first... if it smells like you, they know it's ok.

My ratties LOVE their dark leafy lettuces! They will have it all gone in minutes!!

I have resently been giving them a summer veggy and brown rice baby food since one of my ratties is on baytril so its just easier to give them both a nice serving of that.

Jo's idea is awesome as well i would never have thought of that
Way to Go Jo!!

jorats said:
If the food is new to the rats they might be a little worried about trying it. But eventually when they do try it, they will be pleasantly surprised. One thing you could try and put the new veggie in your mouth, then offer it to the rat. Sometimes a rat must know that they can "trust" the food first... if it smells like you, they know it's ok.

Really??? That is VERY interesting . i am going to try that!

+1 for the "You tasting it" trick. Easiest ways to get our boys to try something. Our little fellows like: corn, tomato, spinach, peas, broccoli, zucchini, squash...almost everything except carrots. Also, they really enjoy cooked tofu, and chicken. And the LOVE labblock, it's the first thing they grab out of their bowl at dinner time.

hmm , my rats like cat food and dog food best. I don't give it to them , but sometimes when they are out and about they sneak it :wink: it is the first thing they go for

Back