Vegetables for rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissGuardian

Are there any vegetables your rats like especially well?
Mine usually gets cucumber, cauliflower and sometimes carrots..
But I want to vary it more.. Any ideas?(fruits count as well)
Also, can they get avocado? Going shopping tomorrow..

Peas and corn seem to be a fave of all rats... I buy the frozen ones and thaw some out to give as a treat. Broccoli is also popular, I find my kids are more receptive if it's steamed though. Avocado pits and peels are toxic and the flesh is very high in fat, so it should be given only in moderation or if you're trying to beef up your ratties. My guys love (occasional) bananas and apples, watermelon and cantaloupe when they get it. Mango (has d-limolene so it should not be given to males), strawberries and pineapple are not very popular though, I suspect it has something to do with the texture because they will gobble it up if it's in a yogurt smoothie. Some rats love leafy greens, like spring mix, corriander, or Romaine lettuce, but it really depends on the rat.

I might try avocado to see if they like it..
They like broccoli, but it's not a favorite..
We don't have kale here I think.. Not what comes up when i search for the word anyway..
I have read the forbidden food list.

Not too much avocado, it's loaded in fat.

Mine LOVE!! broccoli, romaine, spring mix salad, peas, corn... they like kale, carrots, cauliflower.

jorats said:
Not too much avocado, it's loaded in fat.

Mine LOVE!! broccoli, romaine, spring mix salad, peas, corn... they like kale, carrots, cauliflower.
I won't. My oldest needs to gain some weight tho..
I will try that.
Haven't seen kale here tho..

melissa0125 said:
mine LOVE watermelon and strawberries and grapes and also blueberries
Mine love watermelon too.. But I don't eat it myself so it usually gets bad before they get it all..
Never tried strawberries and blueberries tho..

MissGuardian said:
I will try that.

For a rat that needs to gain weight or has started losing muscle mass, avocado would be excellent for them because it's all the good fat without the protein. :thumbup:

jorats said:
MissGuardian said:
I will try that.

For a rat that needs to gain weight or has started losing muscle mass, avocado would be excellent for them because it's all the good fat without the protein. :thumbup:

He got sick in the beginning of the year and has gained some of the weight back, but not all of it.. So I still want him to gain some more..

Mine get:

Frozen peas thawed in warm water.
Shredded Carrot (only once a week due to the natual sugars).
Baby Greens & Spring Mix.
Corn on the cob (occasionally)
Cucmber.
Broccoli (they don't go nut's for it, but will eat it once they realize nothing better is coming)
Bananna (Occasionally)
Red grapes (seedless) (cut in half and frozen and peeled)
Watermelon.
Honey Dew.
Cantaloupe.

Ratty Momma said:
Mine get:

Broccoli (they don't go nut's for it, but will eat it once they realize nothing better is coming)
Bananna (Occasionally)
Red grapes (cut in half and frozen)
Watermelon.
Honey Dew.
Cantaloupe.

Thank you!
Don't know what the last two are tho..

MissGuardian said:
Ratty Momma said:
Mine get:

Bananna (Occasionally)
Red grapes (cut in half and frozen)
Watermelon.
Honey Dew.
Cantaloupe.

Thank you!
Don't know what the last two are tho..

http://www.produceoasis.com/Items_folde ... eydew.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantaloupe

also I forgot to mention ..I peel my grapes becausre they won't eat them with the skin and they have to be seedless.

Ratty Momma said:
MissGuardian said:
http://www.produceoasis.com/Items_folde ... eydew.html[/url]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantaloupe

also I forgot to mention ..I peel my grapes becausre they won't eat them with the skin and they have to be seedless.[/quote:eek:dwtrkap]

Ah thanks!
Yeah I probably have to too.. Mine won't even eat the skin on cucumber:p

I forgot about cucmber, just added that to my list, mie love it, they eat it like watermelon, they live the skin.

I had several bags of frozen stir fry veggies at one time and one of them wasn't my fave... so that bag belongs to the girls now and I just pop it into a bowl of water for them to fish out. Anyway, it has yellow squash that they seem to like :)

abazoo said:
I had several bags of frozen stir fry veggies at one time and one of them wasn't my fave... so that bag belongs to the girls now and I just pop it into a bowl of water for them to fish out. Anyway, it has yellow squash that they seem to like :)
Hehe thanks!
haven't seen any with that here

Back