Vanillas eye

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle

I woke up late tonight for work and checked on all the kids and was handing out petblock and found Miss Nillas eye was in bad shape. It was not like this when I finally layed down today around 5pm.
I guess I will be finding out what the new vet is like glad payday is Friday. I will try and get in Thursday. I don't know if she did this to herself or one of the other rats got her and on top of that it looks like she may have the start of a lump on her back about the size of a pea. The eye pics are not the best she was wiggling like crazy and did not want to be held.

The lump is a little hard to see, but it is at the bottom of the pic in the middle.
3216566605_dd921287f7.jpg

Eye
3216566579_4058bdfd6e.jpg

Good pic of the eye
3217421446_23b047912b.jpg

Is she pink or ruby-eyed naturally? If so is the actual eye bulb damaged? If not then leave that eye alone, you could hurt the eye if you tried to clean around it with ointment or anything like that.
The lump is probably a bite and an abscess forming. It looks like there may have been a ratfight in your absence.

She is ruby eyed (dark). I knew I could count on you for a quick answer. I am still going to call the vet in the morning. I need to go borrow a cage for her (have a friend with some single level cages). Never thought I would say I'm out of cages. :D

Eye problems like that are actually common in hairless rats. I've had my share with my Frisson.
It's hard to tell but from the pic, it looks like what my little guy would get and also a few double rexes with my mom's. I would put polysporin eye/ear drops in the eye and after a couple of weeks, it cleared up. I did this with my vet's recommendation.
It could very well be a result of a fight, in which case, it's probably an abscess. Baytril would help.
The lump on her back, again typical for hairless, they are prone to keratin cysts. You should just leave those alone.

Just came back from the vet, her eye is ulcerated due to an injury. I have triple antibotic 3x per day. Will post more later at a friends house sending this.

Yeah, Nilla is my first hairless so I am a little more paranoid. I can deal with the scratches on her as they heal within a couple of days. The eye injury freaked me out. By the time I got home from work the next morning all of the bruising was gone. I even took my camera to the vet so they wouldn't think I was nuts about her injury. The ointment is working well for her and she doesn't seem to be in any pain from it. She is still in segragation for the time being. I borrowed a little bit larger cage and will be moving her into it today. Right now she is still in the cat carrier.
Nilla says thanks for all of your respones. :)

Back