Update on Zooey, I need help...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mellybee

Well it seems as though she was getting better but shes still having the panick attacks and zooming around the cage, also ive noticed shes lookin a bit skinny :(
Im really starting to get worried, i spend time with her everyday doing the hoodie bonding but shes still so scared! I see her eat but shes still quite small, she was when i first got her too but im worried shes not eating as much as she should....i just gave her a cracker to get a bit of fat in her but shes not paying any attention to it though i put it right in front of her....getting really worried... :sad3:
I put her in her own cage because i think camilla overwhelmes her and it might be better for now, this way i know she can have food without camilla intefering.

You can certainly feed her extra treats alone, and many rats wont eat outside of their cage if they are nervous, so a "dinner cage" might not be a bad idea.

Try things like baby cereal and ensure, those are rattie favourites!

As for her becoming less nervous. Time! Just be patient. She's pretty young and is probably going through her fear stage, so keep at it.

since shes been seperated from camilla she hasnt had a panick attack, but until i see a bit of meat on her i think keeping her in her own place will be better.
ill try out that baby pablum, I checked to see if the cracker and food i put in front of her where gone and most of it was *whew* I'll keep chipping away at her ^^
Im not 100% sure on her age, I think shes about 6 weeks now.

Thanks for the tips guys means alot.

hmm, yeah i guess ill have to take things slow, the weird this is though, when i first put her with camilla they seemed fine they would groom each other and sleep together but i suspect the reason they might not be able to live together just yet is because camilla gets too hyper.
but good news; shes been eating alot more living on her own, shes also eating the treats ^^

hey guys, she just had a panick attack, i took her and held her an she forced a squeak ( i wasnt holding her hard at all) now shes limp. its like nothing sets them off she just does it.
coul she have something deeper wrong with her? could these be seizures? im scared for her, should i maybe give her back to the lady and tell her that she needs to stay with the family?

Where did you get her from?
It does seem odd what is going on with her... is that an option for the lady to take her back and put back with her siblings?

It is possible that her panic attacks are linked to seizures.
You could try putting her back with mom and sisters to see if it helps.
If it doesn't, she needs to see a vet.

When she panics, is she in danger of hurting herself? Is she aware of her surroundings?
Does being held and comforted by you help her?

Baby cereal mixed with soy infant formula would help give her the nutrition she needs.

Dahr555 had a boy with seizures. Unfortunately meds didn't help.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11130&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I think I will talk to the woman about that option, she seems like she would want her to be happy and if this is the only way than there isnt much anyone can do. I certainly wouldnt keep her here against her will if there was a better option, I would make sure to stress that she could not be put into a pet store EVER and that she needs to stay with her family.

When she has her episodes she doesnt seem to be aware at all, shes just like a Tornado going into any/every direction and even when she would run into a closed area shes still running against the wall, and I dont think she would realize if she where hurting herself (thats what scares me most :()
When I pick her up after them she just hides in a crevasse in whatever im wearing like she just feels the need to hide :(

when i put her back she just goes into a closed area and stays there, sometimes she will wonder around but shes mostly still.

I looked up seizures and the rats dont react the way zooey does, they seem to stay in one place or stumble around.

she has been eating though since i put her on her own, shes eating the treats as well so i think shell be fine for that, i got he the extrusion stuff and she eats it just fine.

what should i do? should i ask the woman if she can take her back and keep her with her family? if she would say yes i wouldnt hesitate because that would be best case scenario.

Rats can panic after a seizure, run around not very aware of their surroundings and therefore accidently harm themselves.
You need to find out if her behaviour is the result of the change in her environment ...
So you need to speak to the woman you got her from ... specific details about her behaviour not general terms like "nervousness". You can also see if putting her back with her family changes her behaviour. You need to sort this out as soon as possible.

If you are unable to determine that her behaviour is due to a change in her environment, then she needs to see a vet.
If she is having seizures, she needs to be put on meds. Hopefully they will help.
Sometimes a diet low in sugar will help seizures. Some seizures are the result of a magnesium deficiency.
From what you have described, it sounds a lot like Dahr555's boy who had seizures.
Dahr555 wrote on another thread:

My little one also has seizures... Look for the batting of the paws up in front of the face... This is a sign of possible epileptic seizures... As I understand, in the long run, these are relatively harmless, but the short term effects could include such a scare from it that they could have a heart attack. If you can, whenever you see your rat having a seizure, comfort it with soft coo-ing noises, or try to make sure that she knows your there... Never pick her up without something that's thick enough that she can't bite you... I'm another one who's learned from experience. Anyways, I hope your rattie is ok...

EDIT: Also, something that I have seen, is that with seizures, if they get scared afterwards, they will start running really fast, make sure that they can't get hurt by running into stuff, so remove all sharp corners in the box. Also, if at all possible, not only line the cage, but the corners of the cage, so if (s)he takes off running, (s)he won't hit their head on the corners and hurt themselves even more...
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=12364&p=164827#p164827

Hope everything works out ok

Hmm, yeah
i will def get more info from the woman, I asked her if it were possible to take zooey back and monitor her behaviour.
Hopefully she will say yes and we can find out exaclty what is causing this.

Back