Update on Silas's health

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silas is still doing quite well even with his heart condition. He is more quiet than he used to be and is quite slim but he still moves around withoug any difficulty. The positive thing is that he is no longer a bully (LOL!!!)

Silas spends some of his time on his own where I give him his medicine and lots of soft food. I let him spend time with the other rats too so he doesn't feel too lonely.

Silas is going to be 23 months old on April 18 which will make him the 3rd oldest rat after Dobby and Remus. Sirius (my first Sirius) died at exactly 23 months and he was my third oldest rat. Chances are that Silas will be doing better than Sirius and I am more and more positive that he will reach the age of 2.

Silas is all black except for a perfect white triangle on his tummy. He was my dream rat and I have been waiting 18 months to see a male black boy in all the litters that I have seen.

I now have 3 other black boys now (Sirius 2, Ozzy 2 and Sweeney). Sirius 2 is completely black and has absolutely no white spots at all. Sweeney and Ozzy 2 have some white but they are mostly black.

Silas turned 23 months old yesterday. Today, he is 23 months and one day old. That makes him the third oldest rat I had so far. Dobby (2 years, 4 months) and Remus (3 years +) are the only 2 rats who lived older than Silas. Sirius (the first one) was number 3 as he died on the day he turned 23 months old.

Silas is very thin but he is still able to walk around and to climb in his hammock. He is alone most of the time. I make sure he spends a lot of time in his old cage with the other boys. Being alone is better for him as I can monitor what he eats and I have to make sure that he doesn't get stressed out. Silas doesn't seem to eat his regular food. He eats his pablum, baby food vegetables and Ensure milk.

Silas will be 2 years old in 8 days. Only one week to go before the big day. Silas is doing well considering that he has a heart condition. His weight is stable. He is too skinny but not to the point that it is dangerous for his health.

He spends a lot of time on his own to insure that he eats his pablum (if not, Jack would eat it all...). He spends a lot of time with the other boys who are really nice to him and don't bother him too much.

I didn't give Silas any medicine for the last 3 weeks and things are going well. I still monitor his condition regularly.

I noticed that sometimes giving them a break really gives them a boost. I hope he continues to feel better and will have a great birthday!

Silas has a better appetite lately. He started eating solid food again even if it is just a little. He empties his pablum bowl every day. He used to eat about half of it.

Silas spends a lot of time in his hammock but he is still very mobile and has no difficulty going around in the cage. He still spends time alone or with the other boys.

His condition seems to be stable right now.

Aw sweet boy.

Jo I was looking at the label of boost and it says it has milk products in it whereas ensure has soy.

Back