Update on my little S

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cityratt

I think, things are starting to draw to a close with my little lovey doll.....

The past few mornings when I've checked on my ladies I've thought S has left us only to have her spring up just as my heart started to sink.... *sigh*

Yesterday I couldn't find her. I looked in ALL the hammies, started talking loudly to all the girls (who had since woken up and were at the front of the cage), I finially saw her in the bottom of her yellow boat...all curled up, and she NEVER goes in there, only Lil does....so i braced myself for the worst, got dressed and went to go check her out and there she was. standing at the front of the cage. :gaah:
So i figured maybe shes got some hearing loss.

Today I went to check on them, wanting to spend some one on one time with my lady, only to have her not come to the cage when i opened it. *sigh* again. Indi, Lilli and Rube jumped out off the Hammy. Mav wouldn't leave. I tipped the hammy and there was S, she didnt move when i moved the hammy, and it looked like my mav was guarding her. Maverick eventually jumped down and i picked up little S, and she opens her eyes, looks at me as if to say "oh hey mama - how the heck did you get in here?!"

Shes sitting in my hood now as i am going to sit and study the MCAT for a while, but im starting to think that maybe S...is well....you know....shes also losing weight so is being supplemented, and shes bright and alert...once you wake the little monkey up....

my heart sinks just thinking about it....she really is my little buddy

I've a few of my rats doing this now but I think it's because they are sleeping very deeply. I sure do hope it's only due to being so comfortable at home now that she really lets herself sleep.
Give her a cuddle for me. :heart:

It may just be age. Lilly (26 months) does this to me all the time and has been like this for the past 6 months. She will be so sound asleep that I can shake her hammock like there is an earthquake and she does not budge. I touch her and she slowly wakes up and looks at me like "thanks, thanks a lot for waking me up you evil woman." and then she just goes right back to sleep. It also takes her an hour or so to get up and around to come out for playtime and on some nights she does not come out at all just sleeps till it is dinner time.

Just love her everyday until her time which fingers and tails crossed is a long time from now.

My Arthur does that. He's sleeping soooooo soundly that all the rest of the guys will come running, but he hangs back and naps some more. I think it's because he's older and in a cage with younger boys. He knows that I'm going to come and scoop him up first though. He's my little ham.

ok *phew* glad im not the only one who has experienced that....

scared the bejeezes out of me though to be perfectly honest. eheesh

I have a few oldies too and one doesn't even wake up when I poke her gently. She gives me such a look when she sees me. lol

Yep. same thing here. Its like as they get old, they sleep much deeper and don't wake up right away like the younger ones do. The girl I am babysitting right now, Streak, is four years old, and she scares me all the time sleeping so deeply sometimes I can even pick her up and pet her and she will still sleep. If I tickle her feet she wakes right up though hehe.

I remember my old lady Cody doing the deep sleep thing and that was months before her time. :) Big kiss to S! Tell her she's not allowed to go anywhere, I want to meet her. :p
I'm sorry she scared you. :(

Back