Unplayful!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danweel

Hi there! I'm new poster. I came to a rat forum to get some ideas from other's experiences about what I should to do to stimulate a rat who doesn't find toys interesting.

Goku is the last of my rats, and is solitary. He has almost always been solitary and has had behavioral problems all his life. I adopted him at a slightly older age because no one wanted to adopt him. We had him neutered and he improved, but aggressiveness wasn't the only issue.

Now that there are no rats in the house at all, he's mellowed out pretty much 100%. But he's still not an intellectual. It takes him longer to pick something out and he rarely plays by himself. He simply has never been like the others.

He's healthy, but it's not enough to place 'interesting' things in his cage and expect him to do anything with them. Sometimes he -walks- on his wheel, but I am concerned about his health that he finds nothing in his cage interesting, no matter what I do. He used to concern himself with the others, but now he seems content to eat and sleep. We take him out daily, and often whenever he's up and about really, but he often explores for 10 minutes or less and then expresses boredom and wants to go back in the cage. Now and then he has fun wrestling with our hands, but most of the time finds pets annoying, like he always has, so we don't push him too hard on that point.

Has anyone had any experience with a rat like this? He's not lethargic so much as disinterested in things. He is willing to run in his cage, and up and down the ramps, but isn't interested in exploring the things I put in there. I put his food bowl as far as possible from his preferred sleeping box, just to get him moving. He has a CN183 all to himself now, so that's pretty far at least. Maybe the space is too large? But he never liked toys. I'm at a loss.

His favourite things so far are boxes. He is not a fan of hammocks for whatever reason, and has never really used them. Sometimes, he pushes his boxes around, or tries to get certain boxes inside other boxes. This entertains him the longest. But most of the time he likes them because he can stay in them with his nose poking out and feel protected, I think. He is also very very happy stealing pieces of paper. I leave things out for him to take back into his cage. But then he's back in his cage, and sometimes he doesn't bother coming back out.

I suppose I'm frustrated! I'm used to rats who like things. Be that water, or treat balls, or climbing on cat furniture. I should be used to his unusual behavior, but I want to make sure I'm doing the most to make him happy. Any insight would be great. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it, but I'd prefer if he played more, and with different things, for his mind and body. Just want to make sure I'm not missing some great idea for him!

Hi and welcome.
How old is your little guy now? Is this a change in behaviour or has he always been this way?
Have you tried hiding treats around in the cage? Or a tissue box? Some rats love to pull out the tissue and create their own nests. Also some rats find newspaper sheets a lot of fun.

He used to busy himself by looking into the other rat's cages, (sometimes chewing holes through the pan to do so). He used to run on the wheel when he got himself excited enough by that too.

I'm not sure how old he was when we got him, but he should be around 2 years old, so he's definitely potatoeing out. I'm just not certain how much is normal, given our other dudes all were pretty playful until their very ends. --they were curious, but he never has been, so it's not as though anything has changed at least. I just want to know I'm doing as much as I can to help him be his best.

Hiding treats is certainly one of my favorite games! - we have several cat balls too that all the rats eventually had learned how to use -they had to roll the treat down a spiral inside. But with him, if I make it too hard, he'll just leave them, even if it's sitting in a hammock (which he doesn't prefer to do). He doesn't seem to have much drive to do things he doesn't care for. Food doesn't motivate him very much. He's still touch and go on even coming when called. He'll stick his head out and think about it, like he's debating if the food's really worth coming for, or he forgot what the point is.

Similarly, he'll take a tissue (he does like to steal!) and then tuck it into a house and curl up with it. The others would literally steal the entire box sheet by sheet if I let them. They liked busy work, for the most part, and generally delighted in even just being shown a new object. I took his previous disinterest to be in part due to stress - he's always seemed like a strung-out guy, but now that he's not no rats in the house at all, and full reign of every play area, it's all the more stark that he just won't 'play'.

Maybe its just the way he is. Just thought I'd get some weigh-ins on the matter - Maybe it's personality, or intelligence level, or a symptom of a lone rat, even if we do play with him as much as he's up, almost. If there's anything I can do to help engage him, then I want to do it!

Gokurecent1_zps3fd3179f.jpg

Gokurecent2_zpsb9582af8.jpg

He's a double rex dumbo. I hear dumbos are much more mellow than the usual sort? I've only had one other one, and he was into everything all the time!

I have eight rats right now, and their personalities vary GREATLY. I have one rat, who if she is not sleeping, is zooming the entire time, never stopping, impossible to hold and snuggle. At the other end of the spectrum are a couple of my boys who sometimes don't even make the effort to get up out of the hammock to play during out-time. And everything inbetween. As long as you feel he is healthy, and you are giving him lots of opportunities for entertainment and interaction, then it may just be his personality.
He may also be depressed because all his buddies are gone. Are you planning on getting more rats? Or is this the end?

At 2 he is just probably enjoying a quiet life...Trying hiding treats around the cage or in a paper bag...mine love that. Give him LOTS of love and cuddles..maybe he is more of a lover then an explorer

He's buddyless, and almost always has been - we tried (basically his whole life) to integrate him with the others, but he would never have it, and saw every other rat as some sort of threat. He wouldn't even try to feel anybody out or give them a chance. Fixing him made him a little less hysterical about it, but he was always huffy and suspicious. He was sweet from day one with humans (and was why I ended up taking him home when I was picking up someone else). He's never bitten anyone, but when he was little other rats would make him scream in terror, it was really sad. He's always been a little broken. Somehow despite all his stress he's outlived everyone! I thought about it and I think he'll should be three in the summer. He could be a little older.

Because he's never taken to anyone, we're going to wait until he passes before getting a new group. Our original brothers were the greatest, so we'll probably get a group of brothers again! I don't think I could un-rat now! :3

He never got to really play with others or socialize with his own kind at all. I don't think he's quick enough to generate his own ideas, and he didn't get the chance to participate with others to formulate any by copying.

I've also seen a broad range of behaviors in my rats too! I've only had a single rescue girl, so my experience is mostly with boys and basically none of them potatoed the way I expected. Around two they'd slow down and get a bit heavy, but they'd still get into everything and prance. They wanted stuff, they wanted you, they wanted your things and if you showed them something new they'd be fascinated.

This little guy is by far not the largest of rats I had, but he's definitely the most muscular. He's solid and has basically never even sniffled in his entire life (the original three had allergies from the time they were born, to different degrees - the largest had them the worst, but he lived the longest) - but this guy is easily the most robust rat I've ever had. The other rats didn't really have 'muscles' like this guy does. I don't know how he has such mass when he doesn't do anything. I'll know from his form if he's going downhill. Still, it worried me to see he doesn't really exercise anymore (getting upset at the others used to provide activity at least) - and I still worry I could be entertaining his mind more. Especially when he's a little slow to begin with.

But, if that's just him being himself, then I can't worry too much I guess!

Older photo in an old cage on cleaning day, but it best demonstrates his general attitude! His name is Goku, and he's very much a little monkey!

goku_by_simongannon-d58dame_zpsebf45ace.jpg

The paper bag is a great idea! We don't usually have those around the house, but I remember my oldest ones liked that! I'd take all day to eat my doughnuts and have bags to give them... I'm going to try that one with him for sure. :3 Maybe I can think outside the box for boxes, if that's what he likes - Give him a cage filled with boxes to sort out.

We'll just keep cuddling him I guess, even though he prefers just to be by himself! Maybe with enough boxes he'll use them to think?

im sorry, ive just gotta say, that rat is ADORABLE! I have a rex female that looks identical to him except she has standard ears...arent they just cute??? Good picture taking by the way, its oh so cute.

He is gorgeous. He's a dumbo rex but, his ear placement has no bearing on his attitude. He's getting up there in age so I'd say it's pretty normal for him. Lots of cuddle time!

Okay! Thanks a lot for the feedback (and the super nice compliments)! I'm glad it seems to just be a personality thing.

Let me know if you guys think of any activities I might not have tried! If not, there's always simple cuddling and letting him "turtle" in his boxes!

Back