Uneventful Intro?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Today after only one coffee, I did Dexter and Moshi's first neutral intro in the tub. I have never done intact male to baby male intro's...as all males get neutered in my almost all-female household. So I wasn't entirely sure of it. A good girl to baby girl intro, is baby running after the girls, pouncing on them, running under them...getting pinned and thoroughly sniffed, and occasionally pinned down until they eep to stop them from being too obnoxious. I expected something similar or maybe a bit more tense.
So when son and dad met, they didn't sniff each other, no fur, no pouncing, following on Moshi's part but getting the 2 of them into the shot together wasn't really happening much...:roll:
Honestly, it was like they had known and lived together their entire lives. :shock: Is this just the calm before the storm or does this happen?

Btw, Moshi will be 5 weeks on Saturday and he and Dad Dexter are going to Amanda in NY once I can organize a transport/rat train :)

Size difference
Moshiinhandsept19.jpg

Dexterinhandsept19.jpg

Not that much really
DexterandMoshisept19.jpg

MoshiandDextersept19.jpg

Lovely sweet Dexter loves being stroked as he eats...
Dextersept19.jpg

Moshi loves his wheel...Dex likes my hand
Moshirunssept19.jpg

Then Dexter tries the wheel
Dextertriesthewheelsept19.jpg

Here we all are, but Dex is more interested in the wheel. :doh: Do you think I should expect any future problems or do you think I can do a couple more neutrals and then toss them in a new cage on Sunday? I should separate on Saturday but I won't be home and since Moshi is the only boy he's going to be shell-shocked being alone :(
DexMoshiandthewheelsept19.jpg

I don't think you'll have any issues, do a couple more outings together and then try them in the cage while you can monitor them. It's usually pretty easy to intro adult males and babies from what I understand.

Looks like it's going to work out just fine. A couple more and off they go to live together. I just love the thought of dad and son being together. :joy:

How old is Dex, Shelagh? I think that he's still young enough that you're almost introducing a baby to a baby or at the most a young teenager to a baby. Whereas in the case of my boys, I kinda lost that window of opportunity. My big-TEA'S were men and my baby-TEA's were teenagers (all intact and raring to flex their muscles) when I tried to intro them and it just didn't work. I guess it was doomed from the outset - LOL - there was just too much testosterone in the mix! I think Dad and junior should be just fine, but watch them carefully just to be sure. As you know, things can get ugly pretty fast. :roll: Boy, I can't believe it's already time for Moshi to be leaving the nest!

I think they should be fine together, The only type of intros I have ever done is baby males to adult males (I have done one intro of two adult males with no prolbems) and I have never had a prolbem. Max was only in my house four hours and he was in with the older boys.
Your boys look so sweet together :)

Gina, we really have NO clue how old Sweetie and her brothers are. I have managed to get her weight up to 207 grams and the boys did gain, but not a lot and seem to have stopped. Normally even older neglected rats come here and fatten up and fill out. I don't think they are too old, having conflicting reports of 8 months (now 9 plus) of age, etc. I would say they are going to be small rats. I have the impression they are youngish (5 months plus?) since Leon and Lucas the PEW's looove to handwrestle and they initiate the game themselves...:lol:

I'll weigh the boyos today and see how much they have gained since they arrived.

I've noticed more and more rats are mostly smaller even full grown. My Captain is under 400 grams. Prue stayed quite small too. So it's really hard to say how old they really are.

Well I hated to do it but Moshi is now away from the girls and in with his dad. Dad Dexter is a bit unsure of whats going on but Moshi-Mo is doing just fine. :happydance:

Moshi and Dexter
MoshiandDextersept21.jpg

Then Moshi starts to explore
Moshionthehousesept21.jpg

Ugh, galvanized cages...they always look nasty even when clean (purchased before i knew about powdercoated)
Moshiontherampsept21.jpg

Manly hammocks for a manly boy
Moshiinamanlyhammocksept21.jpg

He's such a doll this wee one, he should get Daddy to come out of his shell a little more. Dexter is a good boy, still a bit wary, but its very understandable :D
Moshiissuchafunnylittlefellowsept21.jpg

Back