Umm is there always problems with males ....

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhsm

when females are around?
I have a couple of young males and I am going to get some females today just to have both sexes for the differences in personality.

So am I going to have to worry about my males getting all Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde on me if I have females in the house?

I know a lot of you have both sexes so I am wondering if this is a normal thing or what?

I didn't really think of neutering due to the fact that they will be kept seperate so no problems there at least I thought that now I am not so sure.

I'd appreciate in put on this due to the fact that I am still learning a lot and could benefit from you alls vast knowledge with everything ratties.

Thanks rhsm

You might want to look into the pro's and con's of having female's spayed, not just for the fact that it will avoid any accidental litters, but also the health benefits. Im currently looking into having one of my boys neutered (he has behaviour and dominance problems) and then im thinking of getting two girls, because all i've ever had is boys (i would probably get the females spayed at a later date). They will all be living in the same house as my older guy who wont be getting neutered. Would be nice to experience both for me aswell :)

Having two unaltered sexes of rats in the same household is risky.
Rats are very smart and very very motivated .... and people are not perfect.
Mistakes can happen.

Some boys seem to be ok, others will find it extremely stressful and may become aggressive towards their cagemates.

Edit: I have heard of boys in cages in the lower level of a house managing to get out of their cages and get to the girls in their cages in a bedroom on the top floor .... or perhaps it was the other way around .... it happens ....

I've had a few males go nutso until the new females were spayed. There were a few scuffles in their cage. It depends on the rats.

I agree with SQ......I think it is an accident waiting to happen to have intact animals in the same household....much better to get one sex spayed or neutered. I would think that being around females in heat is going to bother all intact males somewhat. Some may show it more then others by becoming aggiated or aggressive. It must be very frustrating for them.
I highly recommend if you want to have both sexes have one spayed or neutered......

I've always noticed a difference in my males when intact females moved into the same room.
But honestly, if you can't alter one sex, I wouldn't keep both sexes in the home. So many accidents happen this way.

All of my rats are unaltered, the six females live downstairs in the living room and the boys live upstairs in the bedroom. I haven't had any problems so far. I would love to have my boys nuetered but financially it just isn't possible right now. Believe me I have taken every precaution to prevent any oppsies. I doubt the girls will figure out how the doors unlatch in the critter nation, and if they do get out the have to figure out how to open our bedroom door and how to scale the the table the boys cage sits on, which has locks on the doors so they cannot be pushed open. When they do have out time, the top of the stairs is blocked off completely by a nice and high rat barrier lol-plus we don't leave them unattended. I am confident their will never be an oops. My boys don't act weird or anything when they smell the girls on me-of course they sniff like crazy but that is the extent of it. When the hubby does find work again and things are once again stable I do want to have both boys snipped...I wish it would rain money!

Mercurydust, I wish all rat owners were as responsible as you. :hugs:
I know for me too, should I ever have intact girls and boys, there would NEVER be an oops litter but people are not all as determined and headstrong as we are... we can only advise against it, it's the only way to be 100% certain of oopsies not happening. Of course should people still decide on having the two genders in the home, then we can only help them in securing their rats, keeping them in different rooms under lock and key... there's been all kinds mishaps from rattie escapes to naughty little brother or babysitter putting rats together. I sure do hope that will never be the case with anyone cause that is just a crying shame... a very preventable oopsie.

I WAS the same as Mercurydust, actually worse. I had 8 unaltered males in the same room as females for over 1 year. I do have males with aggression issues, but I do not feel they are related to having females. Actually, I don't see the difference in the actions of my altered and unaltered males towards the females, but then again NONE of my unaltered males have been too close to my females...but as of yesterday all of my boys have been neutered!!!! I do still have 3 unaltered males in my room, but they are my fosters and will soon find new forever homes!!!

Back