TUMORS!!!!!!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa's ZOO

So Rose (the one with the vaginal bleeding) the bleeding has completely stopped but she had a respiratory flare and her surgery was postponed.

Then my Ivy, poor girl has gone under two times. :( The first time she had 2 removed and the 2nd time she had four removed (three incisions). Now she has another one that will have to be removed as it is in her rectal area and as it gets bigger can cause major problems.

And poor Clover she had one removed and did not do to well under anesthesia (the vet said she just did not want to go to sleep) and she was groggy for at least 36 hours after the surgery. If this tumor was anywhere but her rectal area I would just leave it be but it will eventually cause problems with her bowels and I just don't want that.

Lilly who is going on 26 months and constantly sneezes has a very small tumor on her side that is about the size of a pea and has remained that size for about a month and well it will just have to stay there as I do not feel she is healthy enough to go under and come out okay. But fingers crossed it stays that small for as long as possible.

I love my girls so much and will do anything for them. So they will all be going in together to have surgery (depleting my vet fund, but that is what it is for). Once all of my girls are gone I am going to rescue a few boys and just have them neutered it really seems to be the way to go when it comes to these nasty tumors. If I had a reliable vet to spay everyone I would in a heartbeat but I don't. :?

Thanks for listening to my rant. :rant:

When it rains it pours.

I wish I could spay all mine! I had one girl, Violet that had her first tumor at 5 months old. She had 4 removed but died during her last surgery. Vet said she wouldn't have been able to get them all anyways, since they were EVERYWHERE. Why, oh why do girls have to get so many tumors!?! Can't they make a nice little yogie flavored treat to prevent them without the cost and worry of spaying?

Someone, get on that pill idea!

some rescues are able to get rats spayed before they are adopted. If you want girls and are in the USA, you might look into that.

SQ my next ratties will be rescues no matter what gender i choose. I will probably have to go out of state to get them but I will do what have to so that I never buy another rat from a pet store.

I am so sorry. I know it's so sad and frustrating. Give your girlies tons of healing kisses from me.
Usually, a spay is quite cheaper than a tumor removal, though. If you ever get girls again at a young age, I hope you'll be able to have them spayed. It seems to help a lot!

Back