Tumors

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know... Just.... I don't even know anymore. I didn't get much sleep last night so I'm kind of losing it right now. Not in that I'm freaking out. Just lethargic and tired and depressed. I'm not great for conversation is what I'm saying I guess.

Poor Marble :C I'm sure things will be okay! The vet visit is just around the corner, I'm sure she'll hold out until then.

I just got back from the vet. Dr. Emerson was all ready to schedule a surgery so she did a chest scan just to double check and it turns out the cancer has spread EVERYWHERE. There's a big mass next to her heart and little masses all throughout her lungs. Giving her surgery would just cause her pain. She wouldn't really be able to recover because her immune system is working too hard to fight the cancer and wouldn't have the energy to heal the surgery openings. Plus, it wouldn't help since the cancer would just kill her anyway.

Before you say anything, I realize that she should have the surgery back in December. Dr. Emerson said she would have happily made that happen and would have given the proper advice had I gone to her at the time. The cancer had not spread then. I got some terrible advice from that vet and will never go back to her again no matter how desperate I am. That being said, it's too late now. We're back to taking it one day at a time now.

Dr. Emerson told me to take her off her meds as the Baytril is doing nothing to help her and the metacam could actually cause problems. If it turns out she needs the metacam because of the pain, I'll put her back on it. It was recommended I see how she does without it for five days.

She also gave me some options for the future. If the tumor ruptures, I can just call and they'll hook me up with the antibiotics necessary and we'll start her on an infection routine for the rest of her life. However, she did say that a rupture was unlikely. As it has already opened up slowly, nothing spontaneous like a rupture should happen.

Basically, at this point, I'm going to keep a close eye on her and, when she stops eating or her breathing gets really bad, I'll take her in to get put down.

I now know, for the future, to, one, never go to that other vet! and, two, what all the signs and such are for taking the proper care of any other rats that might end up in this situation.

OH, and, it probably is a bone tumor. Dr. Emerson took a close look at the x-rays and there's a chance it's an ulcer but it's probably a tumor especially considering all the masses in her chest. Either way though, it's very much inside the bone and not treatable. Even in December before everything progressed, amputation would have been necessary because the bone is very much mutated and nasty at this point.

I just wanted to get you all up to date. I'm pretty upset because I was really hoping for surgery so I don't know how much I'll be online in the near future. Also, if anyone says anything rude or bitchy to me on this thread or on chat, I will cry or cuss someone out so please back off! Any support or advice is very much appreciated though!!!!

:heart: :sad3: Sorry about the news, but your right - you will know for next time (hopefully you won't need to know) so don't beat yourself up over it. Give Marbles extra cuddles from us :cuddle: :heart:

How sad. :( I'm sorry there is nothing to be done for your little lady. Please don't beat yourself up about it - you went with the information you had. Hugs and snuggles from us...

I'm so sorry. So many rats have been lost because of bad vets... but I hate that it should happen to any rat or to any owner - so I'm extremely sorry that this is the case for you! ::hugs::

Stay on the forum - we'll offer all the support and care that we can.

indignantwhiskers said:
Thanks. I'm still here. I'm just... I can just tell that a major anxiety attack is building up and I really don't want to freak out on someone.
It's totally normal to be really stressed out right now. You love your baby and you've just been told you will need to say goodbye soon. We understand how you feel.
Try and find some way to bleed off your extra stress. I know it sounds old, but strenuous exercise really does help. It won't cure all, it won't make you happy, but it will take the really intense edge off how you feel, so you can just be sad, instead of crazy angry. Hang in there...

hi, ive been trolling the internet and found this forum. im in a similar situation. i have a 2 1/2 yr old male. i noticed bumblefoot developing 4 months ago and have been treating somewhat successfully until about a week ago when it really swelled up. i took him to the vet and she talked about removeing his leg. we did an xray of the leg and she said she saw a the star shape around his foot and told me it was bone cancer. and its probably already spread. my rat doesnt have any other tumors/illness what so ever. hes on metacam and sulf bactrium. anybody got some advice, im scared my vet is wrong.

Based on what my vet who I very much trust has said... Get a chest scan. If it shows up clean, get him surgery. Rats do very well on only three feet. How much metacam is he on per day? If you don't trust your vet... A lot of not so great vets overdose.

It may not actually be bone cancer. Bumblefoot either is or can become ulcerated in which case it can wrap itself around the bone. That seems to be the case with your guy since he was actually getting better with antibiotics. This brings us back to the chest scan though. Make sure you find a vet you trust and then have them do the surgery if his chest is clear. You DO NOT want to let this go.

With the vet saying it has probably already spread... Bone cancer can be very malignant and spread quickly. However, as I said, it may not be bone cancer. My crappy vet that did the original diagnosis for Marble said that surgery wasn't an option because the cancer would spread so quickly. According to my good vet, she would have been an excellent surgery candidate at the time. Definitely get a second opinion. Crappy vets tend to jump to "it's a bone tumor so she/he is definitely going to die no matter what we do" when that is definitely not the case.

Where do you live? Like, what town and state?

Back