Tumors

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi!

I was having a discussion with a few in chat eariler about tumors. My oldest rat right now is I'm guessing 13-15 months old. I have never experienced a tumor before, & I am just looking for some information on them.

What to look for ? (males and females) (I do daily checks)

I know unspayed females usualy get them (sadly all 4 of my girls are unspayed - I am trying to save money ..but I am having money issues atm :( ).

What age do they usually start coming about?

Are they easily removed if cought early? do they always grow back, and if so how soon?

Share your stories, I'd like to know more.

Thanks!

Generally we always remove the first tumour that appears.... as for the second, we consider it, but often, they just get more after the one. I think almost all of my girls that have had one removed, have had another appear.... because we don't do routine spays. Our vet wouldn't spay a healthy rat.

What to feel for, I just check all over their bodies. Feel inside them, their sides, under their arms, check their belly for anything...

If my rat is in good health, I have the tumours removed. If the tumour is questionable, I have it sent to a lab. If it's a malignant cancer, I find out if it's aggressive and recurring. If it is, I don't have any other tumours removed. If it's not, then I have the next one removed as well.
We are lucky because we spay all our females so we don't deal with mammary tumours anymore. But typically a mammary tumour is benign and usually develops at around 18 months of age but it's not uncommon to come out at a younger age. My vet won't remove mammary tumours without a spay. Once a rat starts to develop mammary tumours it is more likely that several are to follow unless there's a spay. The spay is beneficial at all ages.

Thanks Jo, also if the tumor is aggressive and recurring how long can they live that way?

Back