Tumor trouble

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowan

97086 south east Hazel hill rd portland Oregon
One of my rats recently got a non-cancerous tumor and I need help to decide what to do I do have money to remove that tumor but they are also feeder rats and I feel like if that tumor is removed they still will not live that long any help would be appreciated also I did find a vet that could remove the tumor

Well I had a rat that had a tumor and we put baytril in her water to help with the pain. We left her to it because she would not have lived as long as she did. I suggest getting antibiotics, putting her/him in a different cage (only if she/he is with other rats), put baytril in her/hims water and give calpol to them on a spoon. Hope this helps. ♥️♥️

One of my rats recently got a non-cancerous tumor and I need help to decide what to do I do have money to remove that tumor but they are also feeder rats and I feel like if that tumor is removed they still will not live that long any help would be appreciated also I did find a vet that could remove the tumor
I personally wouldn't risk it. Also, only give it pain killers and baytril if they are in pain
. Best of luck.♥️♥️

So I haven’t taken him to the vet that’s because I don’t think it’s a tumor because it grew in a day and a half but it’s gotten bigger and I need to know what to do one more thing it grew to the size of a big grape in 1 day and a half and it seems like it’s 2 abscesses on top of each other and it’s hard to the touch and feels like a fluid I am also thinking about going to the vet to get it popped

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So I haven’t taken him to the vet that’s because I don’t think it’s a tumor because it grew in a day and a half but it’s gotten bigger and I need to know what to do one more thing it grew to the size of a big grape in 1 day and a half and it seems like it’s 2 abscesses on top of each other and it’s hard to the touch and feels like a fluid I am also thinking about going to the vet to get it popped
I would go to the vet and find out what it is. From there I would see what to do from there. Does it seem to hurt him?? If it is then I would but antibiotics in his water to take the pain away. Good luck friend, stay strong! I hope this helped.♥️♥️

I would go to the vet and find out what it is. From there I would see what to do from there. Does it seem to hurt him?? If it is then I would but antibiotics in his water to take the pain away. Good luck friend, stay strong! I hope this helped.♥️♥️
Alright thank you he seems to be happy and having fun like usual what kinds of antibiotics?

Alright thank you he seems to be happy and having fun like usual what kinds of antibiotics?
I wouldn't ever put ANYTHING in their water without a vet specifically requesting it, especially when it comes to antibiotics as you need as precise medicating as you can get.

Rat tumors can grow rapidly and appear to show up in a matter of hours. In my personal opinion and experience that does look like tumors, not abscesses. Non-cancerous tumors can turn cancerous in rats and removal may be the best option, if you don't want to risk the surgery you can just keep him comfortable until it's time to have him humanely put down. The other thing to think of is the likelihood of reoccurring tumors since they don't have great genes, removing the current ones may delay it for a short time or a long while yet, there's unfortunately no way to know.

He seems to be fine so no antibiotics is needed and I agree with kye. Although it is risky with where the tumors are, surgery is the best thing to do. But it's all up to you.❤️

Thank you, I’m noticing he’s losing weight and not eating that much any idea on what I can do to get him to eat more?
My rat Freddy didn't have a tumor but didn't want to eat. Have you tried soup?? He would always eat soup but never hard food.

I have also found that sick rats prefer softer foods. My ailing ones have often gone for fruit-flavoured yogurt, avocado or baby food cereals - things that offer some good nutrition and calories.

I have also found that sick rats prefer softer foods. My ailing ones have often gone for fruit-flavoured yogurt, avocado or baby food cereals - things that offer some good nutrition and calories.
Hello I just wanted to say that cookies passed away 2 weeks ago and I want to thank everybody that provided information and support. I am looking for a rat breeder and am going to get another rat for cream to be with annd and I may make annother thread or something about that and thanks again for all the support. Bye until next time

Hello, my new to me adopted girl rat also just yesterday (!) Has the same rapid onset growth like yours. What have you found out from your veterinarian about it? Thank you for your post..

Back