Trusting training rats to like your hands

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopefloats

Not active.
These girls have been a very difficult experience. Finally they are becoming rats that like people. My hands have been tore up from these girls. they have flown out of the cage for us to spend 30 minutes trying to recatch. As soon as you pick them up, they fight with every single ounce of body they have.

we are still on the mend with them but they have improved greatly. I have been putting them in a bin cage, sticking them in my shirts, Putting my hand in the bin cage with them, feeding them a lot of treats and so much more.

5 of the 7 girls have homes so I am finally feeling ok about them going. They are not 100% but it has shown me that they are able to like people so not all hope is lost.

I have spent the day with them doing this and just talking to them. The joys of being snowed in with a bunch of snow and not wanting to leave the house :)
watch

The picture is not showing up. But I did enjoy the video on FB.
It's so wonderful that you are finding so many good homes for these little ones. Awesome job Peggy!

I have never had rats that fly OUT of the cage. Usually it's 'No, no, no, no, I don' wanna come out!' (Maybe it's because we have cats.) I'm sure they'll come around eventually, but it sounds like it's going to take lots of love and patience. They'll probably do well in a new home with just a couple of ratties and the opportunity for more one-on-one attention.

They actually come around fast when you work with them for a few hours. They know what the cheerio box sounds like so all come running. I have had rats that would walk out of the cage like they could levitate. We have them fly out and dash on the floor. LOL most are more smart about it they have the smarts to look first but some the fear takes over

Back