tree branches & ladders???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G~Ratified

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone could inform me on what type of tree branches could be used in ratties cages. Is maple, crabapple, cherrie, ok? And.... do you have to treat them in some way before you use them in the cage? ie: boil or bake? Do you leave the bark on?

Also, I saw someones pics of their cages, and wanted to know where I could purchase some ladders. I managed to get a large cage, but the woman said her ratties chewed up the levels, so she threw them out. I've been using cardboard to make a platform for my girls, but they are missing out on more space near the top half of the cage, without ladders for them to climb. One of the girls is over 2yrs, still pretty spry for her age, but I'd like to make it easier for her especially. thanks

Ladders are easy to find in the bird section of pet supply stores, and there are some really cute ones on a Quebec-based website with the word "zoo" in the name... can't remember the web site address, but Lilspaz68 will know what I am talking about. Some people use tubes for their ratties to climb (for the pretty coloured plastic ones, see http://www.ferret.com)

As for levels, you might want to think about ordering a couple of powder-coated custom shelves or floors from http://www.martinscages.com Some other alternatives are plexiglass shelves or plastic-coated corner shelves from the dollar stores, which I haven't seen for a while, or small kitchen shelves that Lilspaz posted about recently.

Cityrat, I really like the blue ladder/ramps in the picts of your new cage. that is what I would really like to get. are they good for the kids? and thank you's!

they seem to be working out ok for the kids when they choose to use them (Rube and Maverick just more or less scamper up and down the side of the cage like monkeys) but S who is almost 2 ambles up and down the ramps with very little problems - im happy with them :nod:

They came with the cage though so im not sure if you can order them in individually....the cage is made by prevue if that helps....

I remember some of this in reference to Chinchillas... I wonder if rats would have similar recommendations.

"Chinchillas often favor a variety of branches for chewing, such as willow, apple, poplar, and aspen tree branches. Avoid branches from cherry, citrus fruit trees, redwood, cedar, and other evergreen trees."

Dapper rat says this:
"These make great climbing frames for rats, and if positioned correctly can be used as a ramp between cage levels (as shown in the Lower Grotto here). It's also handy for keeping those sharp ratty claws down and providing exercise. Attach the branch securely in the cage with a screw, hook, bolt, cable ties, etc. And be sure to only use branches that are non-toxic to rats (most eucalypts are OK)."

Everything else just recommends "Fruit Tree branches"

A bit late I know lol

But we give our rats, degus and chins freshly cut and scrubbed apple tree branches. I have read somewhere that some people microwave or bake the wood first - but as my rats climb the trees under supervision anyway I don't see the point - we have never had anything nasty on them here

If you get wood get it from trees that haven't been sprayed. And wood could have mites or lice you don't see so it's a good idea to bake or microwave it or put it in the freezer (I think for a couple weeks)

Back