Trampin rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

widersails

I realized it when i was first looking for info on rats in anticipation of caretakeing some on the road that there's many a traveler whom 'rolls' with rats as pets, but hardly any info whatsoever on the net about it. I was criticized a fair bit on forums for wanting to travel with rats, (how will i feed them how can I afford blocks ect..) and had to basically figure it out on my own, and pioneer some of my own techniques. The intention of this post is for the attention of anyone who like me comes to this site looking for info on traveling with rats. Its an invitation for questions and comments/tips for the traveling rat fan or anyone who's curious... Call me hobo, call me tramp or bum, call me irresponsible, but Ive come from Montreal where I saved these two guys from the snakes all the way to BC, hopping freight trains and feeding them mostly food from dumpsters, and there happy healthy and alive as they ever will be...

PS: tried to post a picture of them on here but cant figure it out....

I don't see no problems traveling with rats. They are pretty good at adapting to whatever they need to.
But hopping freight trains and eating out of dumpsters, you are putting those rats lives at risk as well as your own.

As for pics, at the bottom of the reply window, you can click on a link in green.. it says Click here to add image to post.

I don't see any problem traveling with them either. It might be more difficult with rats that aren't used to it, but if you raise them that way they probably love it! As long as they can be kept comfortable temperature wise, anyway.

That said, they really do need a better diet than scraps.

The only issue I can find is that when you travel you may not be able to find a big enough cage for them, I'm not sure what size of cage you have but they do need room to move and grow and play properly. The moving around can be stressful on them possibly. As for food, domestic rats eat an entirely different diet then wild rats. There are differences between wild rats and their 'history' then domestic rats and their 'history'. Giving them a proper diet allows them to live a healthier and longer diet.

I'm not trying to sound critical, I'm just putting some info out there.

hopping freight trains and feeding them mostly food from dumpsters, and there happy healthy and alive as they ever will be...

That's not a healthy lifestyle for a human or a rat. :doh: They might look ok now but in the long run it is detrimental to their health. :nod:

Your lifestyle is not good for the rats and is putting them at risk.

Some people travel with rats ... a trucker, for example who has a section in his truck set up for them. People take their rats with them on vacation, etc.

Rats need a diet of good quality lab blocks, and daily vegs. Your rats are not getting that. Clean water free from chlorine and floride is also important.

Rats need to be protected from other animals ... usually this means indoors in a huge cage.
Not sure how much protection your ratties actually have ... sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Rats need to run around, climb, play, etc. ... don't know how your ratties would be able to do this in safety.

Changes in temp over 5 degrees in a 24 hour period and drafts can make ratties ill ...

Rats often need medical care from vets that know how to treat rats. Because they are prey animals, rats hide their illness and are often very very ill before people become aware. When rats are ill, they need to see a vet asap, they can not wait very long.
It sounds like it would be difficult for you to find a vet that can treat rats, and also difficult for you to afford their medical care. Rats are prone to respitory problems and tumors.

When your rats become elderly or if they develop respitory problems or other illnesses, I don't think your lifestyle will allow you to be able to give them the care they will require in order to live.

Hope you change your lifestyle or else find a really wonderful home for your rats where they will get all their needs met.

Wow, thanks to the folk that are open to this possibility of traveling (hobo style) with rats. As for the others, WOW, are you dead in the head or what... How is keeping a rat in a cage, indoors, Better than 24 hour contact with them and all the fresh air they want as well as any foods (spare the ones that are bad for them), They free range and run and wrestle in my sleeping bag all night and sleep in my hood most of the day, They get any fruit or veggie to eat that I find, wich is any you can imagine. And rat blocks that I steal from huuuuge corporate puppymill pet stores... Ive had them for over 2 months since they were babes and there happy and shiny and no one seems to know anything about this way with rats at all, so if you want to, just ask...

widersails said:
Wow, thanks to the folk that are open to this possibility of traveling (hobo style) with rats. As for the others, WOW, are you dead in the head or what... How is keeping a rat in a cage, indoors, Better than 24 hour contact with them and all the fresh air they want as well as any foods (spare the ones that are bad for them), They free range and run and wrestle in my sleeping bag all night and sleep in my hood most of the day, They get any fruit or veggie to eat that I find, wich is any you can imagine. And rat blocks that I steal from huuuuge corporate puppymill pet stores... Ive had them for over 2 months since they were babes and there happy and shiny and no one seems to know anything about this way with rats at all, so if you want to, just ask...

Just because you don't hear the answer you want doesn't mean that the responders are not open minded. Frankly the life style you live is not healthy for you nor you self. What if the food you give them is rotten or tampered with. Or the dumpster you get your food from also has rat posion in it? You steal rat blocks from huge pet stores, it deosn't matter who your stealing from, stealing is not acceptable what if you where caught stealing and where jailed for it? This way with rats is self explanatory and not healthy.

Wow. I am sorry but I am not taking this post seriously. If that is your real life style, fine, that is your choice. If not, well then I am also sorry.
And you do not have to be offensive to people who give you their opinion when you opened yourself up on a public forum and invited critiscism.

Obviously "hoboing" is something the vast majority of member here wouldn't be familiar with, myself included. So, hopefully you can understand the concern of some members. I'm sure your intentions are good though.

I'll admit the idea of rats with me 24hrs a day sounds like fun, but it must be a challenge at times? Do they get "out" at all to play other then climbing on you or in your sleeping bag?

Whats the litter situation? My rats never poop on me (or even outside their cage) but boy do they like marking me :lol:. They also have access to their cage / litter box for a better part of the day.

My only other concern was the feeding from dumpsters. I don't think I'd feed my rats anything I wouldn't eat, and I assume your "tramping" out desire not necessity, so hopefully your not eating out of dumpsters yourself.

widersails said:

giving them anything from the garbage is just disgusting! if you live your life this way fine (its your choice) but do not put an animals life that way. give those guys a good safe home. it is not there choice to live that way.

not to be rude in anyway about your life and the way you live it.

Interesting.........
I could not imagine living like you do. I would be scared of the crazys out there. I have always had a roof over my head and food in my belly and clothes on my back. I also have to live by the clock, and have many responsibilities, so I can see the allure of just travelling around with no set schedule.
I can also see how the desire for animal company would lead to pets. I tried to live without pets once. I hated it, and soon once again had critters.
Try to be a good 'parent'. Choose clean, healthy food, fresh water, and if your ratties get sick, please seek out medical help.
Be safe!

lilangel said:
widersails said:

giving them anything from the garbage is just disgusting! if you live your life this way fine (its your choice) but do not put an animals life that way. give those guys a good safe home. it is not there choice to live that way.

These are rats we're talking about. Domesticated or not their immune system is not on par with a baby.[/quote]

elitexero said:
lilangel said:
widersails said:

These are rats we're talking about. Domesticated or not their immune system is not on par with a baby.

Meaning what exactly?

Back