Toronto, ON, Canada - Amherst Veterinary Hospital

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherubim

3206 Eglinton Avenue East
Scarborough, ON M1J 2H6, Canada

(416) 261-3322

they specialize in exotics. They can be quite pricey but if you can afford it then thier great!

I believe a consult is $75.00 right off the bat, but their other prices are more reasonable.

I took Sebastian there for his bacterial infection in his leg, Dr. Luckwaldt was great then handed him off to an assistant for an abscess lancing. THAT I was not happy about. They didn't flush it out and the pus was all over his face. By the time I got him home all the matter had dried rockhard and I had to soften the mess for 3 days before I could get it off. :(

I had John Paul in to Amherst recently for a facial abscess. They lanced that one and did a beautiful job of it. I guess it depends on who does the lancing. It was clean and the area looked great, especially since the abscess was in one of the worst places that they can be.
Amherst prices are on high end, but Dr. Luckwadlt will try to give you a break when he can. His hands are tied most of the time because he doesn't own the practice, but he does what he can.
The thing I like most about him, and what I value the highest in any vet, is that he explores all the options that are available. Sometimes those are some very simple and inexpensive treatments that do a bang up job, whereas some vets will insist that expensive procedures need to be done, many of which are unnecessary under the circumstances.
I always rank those types of vets at the top of the knowledge scale and that makes me very comfortable taking my rats to them. I also see that as being a vet that is not out to fleece you.
I don't like the fact that he skives off quickly and before the treatment is outlined. Often I have questions that the vet tech cannot answer about the treatments and it is annoying that they have to keep going back and look for him for the answers. It would take a lot less time if he came back with the treatment himself so you can ask him the questions and get out of there more quickly.

Back