Took toto to the vets :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am finding it very very hard to fathom out your vets reasonings. Have you attempted to call other vets in NI to see what their stance is? Perhaps it is that particular vet's personal preference vs what is commonly accepted in the rest of the country? Baytril is a very very common drug to be using throughout the UK, so I cannot understand why they haven't adopted the procedure. Ironically also, Baytril works best with high doses .. so yeeeah. Not really feeling him.

I would check to see if a) he has the alternatives mentioned or b) whether he has baytril at all. IF he has baytril and continues his opinion that the dosages are too high, point him in the direction of;

http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_ ... aytril.php

(I usually print these out and take them with me).

If after this he still refuses to give oral meds .. I will gladly give you the contact details of my vets over here in England so he can contact them and discuss the issue with them. Just PM me :)

Point blank though, if you notice no improvement it's imperitive that you get a course of antibiotics rather than relying on one-off antibiotic injections. It's a pity there isn't a world-wide newsletter informing all vets of up-to-date medicines .. it would make our job a lot simpler sometimes. :cry4:

Well guys i took action into my own hands.
I phoned the other vets thats in partnership with my current vets and spoke to the head veterian and shes NOT HAPPY with the way he delt with me and toto.
She explained that every rat should at least once be given oral baytril as an antibiotic and that the vet should of gave it to him first time round!
I told her what he said to me and she got toto's records up on the pc and she said shes not happy with the final prognosios (Spell?) And that i have to go up on monday to get toto oral baytril because shes ordered it in for me!
Shes giving my current vet a warning and letting him know shes not happy about what he done.

Im very pleased with myself and im also ashamed for believeing what that guy told me but im a first time rat owner and did'nt know what i was doing.

I just want to thank everyone for pushing me forward to enquiring more about baytril because if you's never helped me i would of believed that crap he had told me!

So thanks and i will always remember what you's have done on helping me. x :cuddle: :heart:

This is simply amazing! And it teaches us all that to keep going forward and keep a stand with what you know is right. Too many people in a position of authority abuse their titles and make us feel like we know nothing.
Kudos to you for taking that step further!!

Toto is dying :cry4: :cry4: :cry4:
Hes all puffed up and hes so thin and frail and his face and eyes are swollen and hes sitting in his box hes so light
this is breaking my heart :cry4: :cry4: :cry4:
His breathing is getting slower im all by myself trying to cope with this.

Theres no vets open or near me its my fault :cry4: :cry4:

It's not your fault at all! You did the very best you could... I know how stressful this must be, I've been in the same situation a few times now and it's so awful watching them being so ill and not being able to help. I wish I could help you more, but with not vets available what can be done???

Clairebee1 said:
Hes gone he had to be PTS :cry4: :cry4: :cry4: :cry4:

This was NEVER your fault Claire!!!!

Your lame @$$ dork of a vet has Toto on his conscience, not you!

I hope you made it clear to him as well as to the lovely vet who took over for Toto! This will hurt his reputation amongst his peers and that is exactly what he deserves. I have a hard enough time with owners who refuse to treat their babies for injury or illness, but it really gets my goat that a so called "professional" vet would be such a jerk.

If I were you, I would tell everyone I know about that vet. They may not be rat friendly but, I promise you, they will think twice about taking their pets to someone with a questionable reputation.

You were wonderful about Toto Claire. Never doubt yourself on that! You are a fabulous and caring rat mom.

Your little man now watches over you from the Rainbow Bridge. He is healthy, strong and plays in fields in the sky. Toto loves you... :love6:

You will see him again "over the Rainbow". :rose:

Please don't torture yourself Claire. Others are culpable in this scenario.... not you. :love6: :cuddle: :hugs: :rose: :heart:

Back