Too small cage doors.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy

So I have a bit of a problem with the cage I bought for my future rats. It's a Gabbia Rose cage (a bird cage which I bought used, click here ).

First of all I think it's a bit too small for two/three rats so I'm planning to buy another cage to attach on top or on the side. (The cage calculator says it could hold up to four rats but I definitely want it bigger.)

Okay, let's get to the point. The cage has four doors, two on the front and one on each side.
Unfortunately the doors are quite small ( about 13cm x 13cm) which makes it harder to decorate the cage and I think it's going to be a problem when the ratties grow.

Does anyone know how I could fix the situation? Could I make two or three doors bigger somehow? Or maybe create a larger door on the top of the cage?

Any other good ideas how to fix up doors for a cage? I'm kind of worried about "destroying" this otherwise good cage with my DIY doors.

Here's a photo of the whole cage and the locations of the doors. (Hope it works. :) )

cagedoors.jpg

Small doors are definitely a pain but I have never tried altering a cage. I would be worried about sharp edges and rust where you cut the bars. Not sure how much you paid for the cage but it might just be easier to resell it and invest in a new one with bigger doors.

Back