Too old to spay?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cigar

Poppy will be 20 months old soon. Since losing her cagemate she's also lost her nerve. I want to introduce her to my 3 gentle boys ASAP but how old is too old? She's pretty healthy, both ladies were extremely hearty until Clover had a crippling stroke. Now Poppy's only problem is a chronic URI that's being treated.

Thoughts on spaying an older female?

It's not so much the age but more the health of the rat that needs to be considered. While Poppy has a URI I would not put her through surgery unless it was an emergency. It is possible for Poppy to survive the surgery and be just fine afterwards, but once again you'd have to decided if it's worth the added risk. I did have one of my girls speyed at about 2.5 years old (or there abouts) and she also had chronic resp issues. She survived the surgery but I took the risk as it was an emergency due to unresolved bleeding from her uterus and she would have died quite quickly without being spey.

I agree with Dewi, health is the biggest concern. Have you discussed this with your vet yet he/she would be a better person to ask about the risks.

I would spay a 20 month girl for sure, but it also depends on the comfort level of your vet. I would trust Dr Munn with spaying a 3 year old. :cheeky:

How bad is the chronic URI? Just a mild thing that needs to be maintained by meds or ?

We spay all girls here no matter their age. Lulu was recently spayed at 23 months old. If the rat is healthy and you have a good vet, I'd get it done.

I'm going to a new vet when I move to London (Clark Animal Hospital) so I haven't talked to Dr. Gerena in person yet. Having her spayed at an estimated $300+ in Hamilton just won't work so I hope this new guy checks out.

I'd say Poppy is pretty healthy - no lumps, history of abcesses, stroke, or anything scary like that. Just sneezing and porphyrin due to the URI. Having her spayed isn't a medical emergency but I think she needs it mentally and soon.

Back