To split the girls up

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lj

So, I have 4 girls that will soon be going in to be spayed.

I'm going to integrate them into the boys room. So, my dilemma:

I have 4 lone boys that could potentially be good candidates to have a girl in each cage. Then they won't be alone.

The other thing is, I could get all four girls in with a cage of 5 boys that I already have.

I could also put in one of the lone boys with the 4 girls. The options are endless.

Would splitting up the girls be a bad idea? Even knowing that they will be going in with a lone boy? Three of the girls are sisters and about a year old. They've been together since birth. The other is about 6 months old but is bonded with the group too.

I'm confused because I want the boys to be able to have friends, but I don't want the girls to be sad being apart from eachother. I could still have them out for playtime with eachother. make sense?

You know your rats best but in the end, if you think about the gains / loss in each case:

1. You split the girls up and that way each of the lone boys have a friend. The girls end up making a new friend too but might miss their sisters. (So gain for the boys, small loss for the girls)
2. You put the girls with the 5 boys - so the girls stay together (gain) but the lone boys lose out and stay alone (a big loss in my opinion)
3. You put the girls with 1 boy - so the girls stay together (gain) and one of the boys get company (smaller loss than above)
4. You put 2 girls with 1 boy, 2 girls with the other boy...

Anyway you get the point - that's how I'd look at it. It's not an easy solution.
Of course....the rats could end up deciding for you if they don't get along with each other....

I'm leaning toward putting one girl with one boy. Then everyone wins....sort of.

Oh this is quite a dilemma... I've taken girls out of their colonies to put them with a lone boy and it always worked out great but what worked in my favour was that the girls had never integrated well in their group. It's a tough one, but you will know if it works when you do your intros.

Back