Titan, Snickers, Chester - Need some advice on introing...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1405

Howdy there guys,

Kinda need a hand here in getting Titan and Snickers to accept Chester so that I can house them together eventually and not worry about fighting... as some of you may know, I got Snickers and Titan together in July from a local Pet Shop and then I picked up Chester in September from another store.

Snickers and Titan are roughly about 6 months old now and Chester's about 10 months. None of them are neutered yet.

I've tried the whole bathing/vanilla extract thing and introing on neutral turf (my bed). I've been at it for a few weeks now and here's what happens.

After all 3 have been on my bed for a bit, Titan tends to fluff up and starts going after Chester. I'm used to the occasional tussle here and there as long as no one gets hurt and I leave them be. However, Titan always starts the brawls even though Chester just sits there and does nothing (the funny thing is that he's, Chester, a little bit bigger than Titan and Snickers) and things pretty much get to tufts of fur flying. I've been able to intervene so that no one gets bitten or cut, but it gets to be a little annoying because of another thing...

After I've dealt with Titan, scolding and the dominant pinch (which seems to work better than flipping him over), and he's off sulking in the corner. Snickers (the tiniest of the three) starts up and tries the same thing... Chester sometimes just whacks him away with his paw, but he keeps coming back and basically the furball thing again... repeat punishment process, etc...

Short of actually neutering 2 of them as Chester is pretty much the quiet one of the pack, is there a way that I can get them to get along without resorting to some extreme methods? Once they settle down, they're okay, but after an hour or so things kinda flare up and I'm getting a little distraught as poor Chester is on his own. If things can't be worked out, I may just get a baby male so that chester has a friend atleast, provided they get along.

have u considered neutering you could always get one neutured first and see if that makes a diffrence (the one that causes most trouble)? also have u tried starting with having there cage side by side for a few weeks so they can get the sent of eachother sometime intros take months.

Callie<3 said:
have u considered neutering you could always get one neutured first and see if that makes a diffrence (the one that causes most trouble)? also have u tried starting with having there cage side by side for a few weeks so they can get the sent of eachother sometime intros take months.
Neutering is on the list, as for the cages side by side... not quite doable seeing as I don't have space for that. However, I am getting a new cage tonight that should allow us to do so.

I would definatly try the cages side by side and I would also try the cage swap and/or trading items between the 2 cages to get them used to each others scent. I am also curious as to exactly what they are doing when you separate them? Does it start as boxing then progresses or is it right out agression? If it comes to neuters I would start by having Titan done because once he calms down Snicker might not be as much of a problem.

I missed this thread somehow... I'll also move this to behavior so it doesn't get buried again.

When your rats get into a furball fight do they end up hurt or bleeding?

jorats said:
I missed this thread somehow... I'll also move this to behavior so it doesn't get buried again.

When your rats get into a furball fight do they end up hurt or bleeding?
I haven't seen blood yet I draw the line at fur pulling, but I took a look at Chester's back and looks like he's got some scabs from bites. They were a little tricky to find until I felt for them.

Yeah, I've been treating them with a saline and anti-bacterial solution that one of the docs was kind of enough to give me at work. I also got a new cage that will allow me to keep them side by side too.

jorats said:
They'll need a mite treatment like Revolution or Ivermectin to get rid of the bugs.
I don't see any mites or anything like that on any of them though... They're not scratching a whole lot or anything either.

jorats said:
How big are the scabs you found? Are they very small or long?
They're not large, but a little long like teeth marks. I'd have to take a better look at Chester as the squirms too much and hates his fur being messed up.

Neutering seems the most straightforward thing to do. And then if they still don't get along after a few weeks, you could get Chester a girl friend.

jorats said:
Oh ok, I thought perhaps they were scabs from bug bites.

How have been the intros? any better?
Well, I just took a better look at him today and he has a number of smaller ones that do look like bites... know where I can get some revo without having to pay the vet?

Back