Throttle - What does this behavior mean??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

First I have to say, I have realized I'm scared of this boy now and refuse to reach into his cage to get him out... So I took Axe and Popper out of their cage and patiently waited for Throttle to decide to come out of his cage - with a little coaxing. So I have them on the couch - which didn't go to bad - Throttle was a puff ball, but only had one incident with Axe and it wasn't bad. I must mention that Popper and Axe seemed on edge with each other too. So anyway, Throttle and Axe would circle each other a few times and when it looked like the behavior was going to escalate I could make a quiet clapping noise - nothing startling and they would break their concentration on each other. This is what I don't understand, after awhile Throttle just kept trying to get under the Popper or Axe, mostly Axe like he was either 1) try to just lay under them to be submissive or 2) was trying to get them to groom him. He kept doing this time after time. Either way he was being a good boy. He's been back in the big cage for about 30 minutes now and I haven't heard any commotion or noises.. Axe and Popper are definitely on the snip snip list next. Popper has a nice long scab on his back that wasn't there a couple days ago so it cannot be from Throttle.

What Throttle was doing is classic dominant stance. Going under another rat is not submissive, that's dominant but so long as the other rats are not bothered by it, it sounds like it's all good.

It will die down as the weeks progress some boys change instantly and some you can see them gradually change. I love seeing the boys do that move, when the other rat doesnt care, but that move can start some fights LOL it is cute to watch them rebuild relationships and to watch the neuter boy change. It worked with trey, he was a terror and you see where he is now with 4 boys.

I thought I had read somewhere it was a dominance move, but he looked so innocent doing it. He almost looked sad like he just wanted someone to play with him. Good to know its the opposite. It did well in with his cage mates last night. Axe and Popper kept fighting with each other, but left Throttle alone.

Back