The Lone Jogger?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMG365

Time magazine ranked the 10 creepiest restaurant mascots. Included on the list is Burger King's recently retired plastic-faced King mascot, Quiznos' Spongmonkeys, and Domino's Noid.

Also on the list, and easily the creepiest restaurant mascot of all time, in my opinion, is McDonald's "Hamburglar" - not the more recent incarnation that looks like a young child, but the original one --- the one that looks like a cross between a demon and a garden gnome. Back in the very early 70's, when McDonald's advertising executives were clearly insane, the Hamburglar looked like this:

Hamburglar.jpg

Apparently, the Hamburglar was originally known, for some completely inexplicable reason, as the "Lone Jogger". The weird humming noise he made just added to his creep-factor.

This is an old McDonald's commercial where the Lone Jogger, aka Hamburglar, makes his first appearance:

[youtube:3f63f6ut]Kc9_4e6Nzw8[/youtube:3f63f6ut]

I have a pillow with the Hamburglar on it. Didn't know he used to be called the Lone Jogger.

Petunia said:
I'm gonna have nightmares now

gee thanks :?

You're welcome. Misery loves company! :mrgreen:

Zooy said:
I have a pillow with the Hamburglar on it. Didn't know he used to be called the Lone Jogger.

You have a pillow with a picture of the original Hamburglar on it? I hope you didn't have to sleep on it!

Somebody said that McDonald's probably changed the name of the character to the Hamburglar because the Lone Jogger sounded like a name belonging to a serial killer. Good planning on McDonald's part there! :nod:

Back