The big fight...pictures are not for the faint hearted...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tory

So Maxine got beaten up pretty badly last night by Helga I assume. Maxine is Daddy's little girl and I am being a big blubbering baby over her "boo boos" I just wanted to see how bad you guys that it was and how long I should keep Maxine away from her sisters and in the travel cage. I didn't know rat fights where so bad, I'm so upset they fight now they have been with each other. I've noticed some tension between Maxine and Helga lately especially who gets to use the waterbottle first, each will follow the other to the water bottle then push the other out of the way when they are drinking. My solution is I am buying another water bottle today. Here are the pictures:

I also want to mention that she has been a trooper through the entire thing and that although the picture taking I was tyring to be as gentle as possible it was alittle ruff and she didn't let out the smallest squek. The only thing that really worrys me is she isn't using her front paw that much however as the day goes on she uses it more and more. Also she is eating and drinking.

Aww no!!! The wounds should scab very quickly and heal fast. I think Sids battle wounds were completely scabbed and already falling off after 3 days. I think they might look worse because she's hairless :(

Are you sure it's from fighting? You've seen Helga do this to Maxine? This couldn't of happen in just one time... it looks like it's been ongoing or else she's got some kind of dermal problem. Definitely separate the two and see if Maxine will heal. I'd get her on meds asap. Novotrimel/Bactrim/Septra should work fine for those wounds.

I had Maxine out rite before I went to bed on Friday and she was fine, I did not see Helga do this to her but Helga to had scratches on her face, maybe all three of the first ganged up on Maxine.

Is she the only hairless youve got? The others might be just as marked, but obviously it would be harder to see with hair in the way. Umm, gunna be hard for you to know whos started it all if they all have battle scars. Have they been fighting or showing any signs of bullying or singling out one rat in the group?

Jo, what would those meds help against in this case? Is there more risk of infection or something because she's hairless? I have 0 experience with nakie's.

There has seem to be signs of growing tension in the cage between Maxine and Helga that to is also part of the reason I suspected them, food and water for example is where I have seen the tension they would be going deliberatley out of there way to push the other away from it. My cousin to who has had rats for several years and has a nakkie, well the rat the nakkie was in the cage with was in heat and the nakkie was messing with him the whole day and eventually the one rat in the night attacked the nakkie. So maybe Helga was in heat and just got fed up?

Nakies don't have fur to make the wounds not be so deep, and fur keeps debris and bacteria away from the wounds... Maxine might abscess big time.
I thought it was just Helga with Maxine but with others, that could very well be a beat up on Maxine.
It just seems like so much for a one time fight. Scary that they can do that. Is the cage big enough for all of them?

Yeah my cage can hold 5-6 rats and I only have 4 in there, I am extremley worried about her getting an abcess is there anything I can do for her before I get her on some antibotics?

Ohhh also, Maxine's ears have some blood down in there, will this affect her earing or is there anything that needs to be done or will it all just fall out eventually.

OMG, Poor baby! Can you take her to a vet? It would be best if she was checked out. And she absolutely needs to have antibiotics or you could be dealing with awful infections or abscesses, nakeds do tend to be prone to skin problems.

I'm just wondering if she should be the one separated? I'm afraid of the others not allowing her back easily. Could she be with the others when you are able to be there and have Helga separated? Now I'm just throwing that out as my opinion, if others disagreee they should say so.
I hope she will be ok, poor little love.

Your poor little lady!

I had a nakie named Julian. Julian was an alpha of sorts, and hated it when any other rats squabbled in his cage and would run over and break it up. (I wouldn't believe it I didn't see it, over and over) And always got cut in the process. Their skin gets cut soooo easily, and then frequently abscessed afterwards.

We used a saline rinse to gently clean him up, and then either nolvasan cream (http://www.petrx.com/index.asp?PageActi ... rodID=1709) or good old neosporin afterwards.

I would definitely take your little lady to the vet to get her on an oral antibiotic to minimize the chance of an abscess....best of luck to her.

Maxine is doing much better today, my cousin came over to my house with Baytril (Is that how you spell it xP) and I have been rubbing neosporin on it also I have been cleaning out her cuts with Sterile saline (Again I think thats how you spell it) Helga has some swelling on her nose from the fight and I am just waiting for some sign that the swelling is from bacteria or if its from trauma. Most of the cuts on Maxine's back where superficial and look much better, I will have some pictures up latter tonight!

Oh my word the poor little darling, I've never seen so many bites , it made me cry .
I have 3 hairless boys and the 2 totally hairless scuffle and bite each other but only as hard as they bite me (it tickles me) never left a MARK BUT I STILL SAY "Oi No" every now and then....oddly they never fight with pickle, i think cause he is bigger and slightly fuzzy and they dont want to alienate their big snuggly cushy brother lol
Oh I hope maxine recovers well and can be part of a group again :sad3:
lots of whiskery kisses to her from my boys and scritches(gentle ones) from Sian and I :hugs: :heart: :cuddle:

Aww thanks everyone for the great support. I'm sorry my camera and computer died recently but Maxine is on Sulfamethoxazole and is healing very rapidly. I also took Helga to the vet with Maxine and she was fine. Maxine has to be on her anti-biotic for 10-14 days and she has been on seince Tuesday so I will need someone from my house to give them to her for a bit when I leave for Europe (7 days) but she is doing much better and almost everything on her back is nicely scabbed over.

Latest posts

Back