Tension in the group?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riana

When I had the boys out last evening, something strange happened. Loki, who I would say is 'second in command' began picking on Rose, who's the alpha. He was fairly relentless with this, he would follow Rose around wherever he went. There was a lot of standing on hind legs, power grooming, mounting, and body-blocking, and rose puffed up like a porcupine. In general, the boys do a lot of playing rough, knocking each other down and power-grooming, holding the other down, and the occasional mounting, but I've never sensed any anger in any of this.

I'm a little bit worried. Is there something going on within the group that could turn out to be dangerous? Loki's 6 months old now, so could it be that he's trying to work his way to being the alpha?

The only two things I can think of that may influence this is I just started Loki on baytril yesterday afternoon, after he was lethargic and hiccuping. I just called the vet to get some more, I'm going to put the other two, Guild and Freyr, on as well since they're sneezing. Loki seems to be feeling a lot better already. The other thing is they haven't been getting out for as long a period as they have in the past... each time I try to keep them out for a longer period of time, I'm called away for something or another from my parents.

Any suggestions would be great. I'm a little confused about this. :(

This will always happen once in a while, rats will scuffle but they usually settle down again. Loki must be feeling really good to be going up against Rose.
6 months is the right age for a young lad to want to try to become alpha.

The younger boys are now teens so more hormonal, challenging the social hierarchy etc. As long as no blood is shed, it is normal. If it gets too aggressive, a neuter should help.

Also, when rats do not have a large enough cage, fights may break out due to the over crowding. Since your cage space is too small and they are not getting out a lot, that may be part of the problem.

Back