Teeth

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
My poor sweet Jasper aka Casper from Clark's needed his top incisors trimmed, they were so long, they were touching his bottom lip but curling inwards. My vet trimmed them down right to the gum line and this upset my poor Jasper. He also got a full exam and unfortunately, he's a very sick rat. He's now on Baytril and Zithromax. He's also depressed because he can't eat properly since his top teeth are too short now. :( So I've been syringing him some Ensure and remembered SQ always telling people to soak the blocks. I did that and boy did Jasper love that! He's lapping them up like crazy now, he's much happier too.
Just looking at him, you wouldn't think he's sick but his lungs are terrible. I'm hoping the double meds will help him and keep him with me longer.

Oh no! I hope he's going to be ok...
I'm sorry to hear that he has to eat blocks, but it sounds like he's really happy!
I hope the meds help him also..
:(

Hope Jasper is soon doing much better now that he is on the meds.

Glad he likes the mushy lab blocks :D
I presently have three ratties with teeth problems.
Hard lab blocks are just too difficult for them to manage ... but they really enjoy the lab blocks dissolved in water.

And at this time of year they have the added benefit of keeping ratties very well hydrated. :wink2:
The amount of water a lab block will soak up is amazing :lol:

Aww, poor Jasper! Did your vet need to trim his teeth that short?

I am an impatient sucker, so I actually toss the lab blocks into a freezer bag and have at it with the smooth side of a meat tenderizer. It works quite well, and it gets out all the frustration. Then I just mix it up with some baby cereal, or even just use the block "dust" as the cereal and add Ensure or Soy to it.

Oh that's a good idea Kat... also, yep, next time he needs a trim, I'm definitely going to ask for her not to cut it so short. I think the reason she did that, previously, two rats at my mom's needed their teeth trimmed. She would do it to normal length and figured it would take about 2 weeks for another trim but just two days later their teeth were just as long as before. The two rats in question have had some kind of odd face tumours which made their teeth grow fast. My vet was concerned that perhaps it was the same with Jasper. She told me to watch for a possible facial tumour but nothing so far, the poor boy just need a trimming. I'm going to read up on it and maybe attempt it myself for next time. If I can shed my chicken suit. :giggle:

I've been trimming my rat's teeth ... only those that need it tho, of course.
I can't afford to have the vet do it every week. :(
I just trim them back to a slightly less than normal length
but their teeth don't grow normally so they are not much use to the poor ratties.
It is frightening to trim their teeth but gets a bit better with practice.

I don't find dissolving lab blocks that much work ...
I just nuke a bowl of water for about 5 min., add lab blocks, and let it cool.
I do save all the lab block dust and small pieces from the bottom of the bag. :D
So I'll have to try your idea as well, javakittie.

SQ said:
I don't find dissolving lab blocks that much work ...
I just nuke a bowl of water for about 5 min., add lab blocks, and let it cool.

That is a good point. I have noticed that lab blocks dissolve more quickly when hot water is added and not just room temp water.

I wouldn't have the patience to do that every day, though, SQ. And I'd feel funny about mixing up a whole batch or something.. I just toss a predetermined amount into a small bowl, add Ensure/Soy Milk and pop it in the microwave for about 5-8 seconds.

I know it's only the difference of maybe 2minutes vs 5 minutes, but eh.. Okay, let's just be honest, I like banging on things. It's like taking a hammer to a wall, it just feels good!

I am sorry that you are going through this. Teeth issues with these guys are one of the worst things to encounter.

javakittie said:
I wouldn't have the patience to do that every day, though, SQ. And I'd feel funny about mixing up a whole batch or something.. I just toss a predetermined amount into a small bowl, add Ensure/Soy Milk and pop it in the microwave for about 5-8 seconds.

I know it's only the difference of maybe 2minutes vs 5 minutes, but eh.. Okay, let's just be honest, I like banging on things. It's like taking a hammer to a wall, it just feels good!

Actually, I think I would enjoy that on some days too :cheeky:

This maybe a silly question but how can you tell if a rat's teeth are too long. I look at them and I think they are long too begin with. Does anybody have pictures to show. I have one PEW that is thinner than I would like her to be. She takes forever to eat raw carrots or anything hard. I was wandering if teeth my be her issue.

Ann

SQ, how do you trim the teeth, what do you use and how do you keep their mouth open?

I would probably need to wrap him up, like burrito him, my vet uses a dowel type of thing and puts it behind the teeth to keep the tongue away. I've got dog clippers or human nail clippers, or should I purchase something else?

I sort of do teh same thing with teh lab blocks instead of soaking them. We have a spice/nut grinder and I just grind up lots and put it all in a container. Then all I have to do is add ensure/water and a bit of honey. It worked great for getting my old ratty Opie to eat when she was really ill and didn't seem to take as long to wait for teh blocks to soak.

jorats said:
SQ, how do you trim the teeth, what do you use and how do you keep their mouth open?
I would probably need to wrap him up, like burrito him, my vet uses a dowel type of thing and puts it behind the teeth to keep the tongue away. I've got dog clippers or human nail clippers, or should I purchase something else?

When I had to take Abby the giant hamster in, they used a tongue depressor to keep her mouth open and her tongue back. I guess you could see if a Popsicle stick is wide enough. Or if you wax your face or anything, the wax kits usually come with those larger wooden stick things that are probably tongue depressors.

I just recently watched a vet tech friend of mine do her rat so that way I could learn and she just used human nail finger nail clippers. She didn't need anything to hold open the mouth but then again it was an older rat who didn't have a lot of fight in them LOL....

And OMG!!! How much of an idiot am I. Every time my lab block tote gets empty I just throw away the lab block dust...Whoda thunk to save it and mix it up into food for the rats....What an idiot am I!

Vanessa said:
jorats said:

When I had to take Abby the giant hamster in, they used a tongue depressor to keep her mouth open and her tongue back. I guess you could see if a Popsicle stick is wide enough. Or if you wax your face or anything, the wax kits usually come with those larger wooden stick things that are probably tongue depressors.

Oh that's a good idea!

Back