Teddy video, what do you think?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
took a couple of videos of Teddy dragging his back end around, he can't really use his back legs at all and lays down to drink and to eat.
here's one of them, the rest are uploading:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catnapt/8012710103/

he has always had a waddling gait, from when he first came to live with me back last November when he was about 7 mos old.

Then in mid August he just seemed "off"- no obvious signs of illness nor injury but was just not himself, seemed reluctant to move around but would do so, could still climb and run if he felt like it.

Vet said maybe he had some soft tissue damage or something, put him on metacam, it helped and he was mostly ok, just not his usual bubbly self, til just about ten days ago

then he just basically went downhill fast, from occasionally having trouble with his back legs to where he is now, not able to use them at all.

he's been on antibiotic just in case he might have a UTI and he's had pediapred, both without showing any signs of improvement

I just switched him to TMZ cuz he's got what looks like it might be a tiny abscess or area of infection near his anus, just looks oozey and off.

Talked to his vet again, and told her how he'd always walked funny, with quite a bit of a side to side sway, which I thought was a "boy swagger" even though Owen doesn't do it (although truthfully I think of Owen as being gay, LOL hence the name, seems like a good gay name to me LOL)

These two are my first boys, so it never occurred to me that the way Teddy has always walked might be abnormal

Vet said he may have some neuro issue, something possibly pressing on the cerebellum, the balance portion of the brain
Vet said she didn't think it was cancer because rats rarely get cancer? or did she say rats rarely get tumors? either way that seemed like a bizarre thing to say, considering almost all of my girls have had mammary gland tumors and I've had three with PTs. :roll:
are there no other brain tumors a rat can get?

She (vet) said if the pred was going to work it would happen in the first 48 hrs -tried it, no change. I am guessing there's no point in continuing it, but I will call and find out (I did call but I've been out so I don't know if they tried to call back and didn't get me)

so, what do you think? is this what HED usually looks like?
he is not able to sit up at all, from what I have seen.
He has to have his water and food way down low to get to it at all.
I am going to be bathing his belly and underside daily and I already change the fleece in the cage every day and shake it out often to be sure he's not dragging himself around on crumbs etc

he's in a single level cage (top of the CN) and I rotate who I put in with him. He has his best buddy Owen to sleep with and the girls will visit him in groups of 2 to 4 depending on how they behave with him.

any suggestions on how to make him the most comfortable? I feel bad that he can't get into a hammock, I've gonna make a padded mat for him to sleep on.

He seems young to have HED. A few of my rats had it, but it was a very gradual onset, and they were over two. As long as you make their world 'wheel chair accessible' LOL, then they will be fine. It does make one wonder, though, if he does have a tumor or something to cause a relatively sudden onset, even with his odd gait.

He's an enigma. I too think he's too young for HED but since you are treating him for UTI, and there's no change, I'm not sure what else it could be unless it's a spinal issue or even neurological. Like Joanne said, keep him comfortable and keep giving him a safe environment.

As for pred showing a difference in 48 hours...not. I am finding that oral pred takes 3-4 days to show any effects, which is why I suggest that people ask for an injection of dexamethasone at the vets which will show an effect in hours instead of days.

thanks for the feedback everyone
I'll keep him on the pred for a while longer and see if there's any improvement

I am hoping to be able to see a different vet, but that one is on vacation for another week- and I won't know til I talk to him, just how much experience he has with rats. He sees a lot of rabbits, from what I understand, and treats rats, but not sure how many he's seen.

I don't see the point in taking him to the vet I usually see, she's just so off, on so many things. At least she's willing to let me try different meds without having to bring him back in.

I wonder if rats can get some version of a muscle dystrophy sort of disease? or um, something like MS?

my friends with cats wonder if he might have a saddle thrombus....? I thought those were very painful, but they said not necessarily

so confused. he does not even attempt to climb anything, which I also thought was a bit odd, as I've seen rats with HED that drag themselves up and down ramps, he doesn't even try it.

he still eats well, and enjoys sniffing around and checking on his buddies, but he doesn't like to move around a whole lot.

I take him out on the porch when its warm enough and just hold him on my lap and let him sniff away, so at least he has something to keep him stimulated and interested.

Petunia said:
so confused. he does not even attempt to climb anything, which I also thought was a bit odd, as I've seen rats with HED that drag themselves up and down ramps, he doesn't even try it.
That also sounds 'off' as my rats were just as active as ever, just not on four feet.

Back