Tea Tree oild for rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee_Dee

Just found out today my poor little guys have mites or what looks like mites. I don't know how they got them unless from bedding but I'm not seeing anything on my other rats that aren't in with the 3 rats that have the mites. Can rats get dust mites? I don't know how I would of got them my room is always dust free and cleaned since of allergies.
Since tomorrow is a Holiday I don't know if the vet will be open or not. Would tea tree oil be too strong for the rats?

You just have to dilute it. A drop in a bin of water for a bath. Home remedies don't really ever work on all levels...

Or just treat the symptoms specifically until you can get some Rev., if it's really bothering them- olive oil + some lavender oil and a drop of tea tree, massage it in then rinse out.

Make sure it's very diluted because it's quite toxic to animals. Mites can come from anything that comes from the pet store or a warehouse. Revolution takes care of it with a one time dose.

I tried that and it didn't work. I did call a vet but since its a long weekend none of them are open and the one I called (not my regular vet) didn't seem to concerned about it and had a poor attitude. He did say it sounded like lice. Can Lice live in the bedding? I don't have any carboard in their cages but we are bringing cardboard boxes home to pack up the house (going to do renovations soon) I can get some rev today hopefully if I can get a hold of another vet but how much do I get the rats? only a drop on the back of the neck?

If you can see them its most likely lice.

What do you use in your cages? Anything paper or wood-based can be the culprit as before its packaged its often loose in silos and wild rats run over it leaving the little stowaways.

When you get the Revolution, I usually part the fur right beside the ear and put a drop on the bare skin so it absorbs faster :)

Yes the mauve one...kitten/puppy...should dose about 8-9 rats easily with the 3 vials.

If you get Dog by mistake see if you can pour out the tubes into a container and syringe up the dose instead (it would be about .03 cc's instead)

I just got revolution and yes it's the kitten/puppy one so one drop should do it?
the vet that I was able to get a hold of told me to weigh them and if they weight say 300 grams then they get a syringe up to 3 I don't want to overdose them I heard it killed a kitten once because they gave too much to it.

Edit: Didn't see the other question. I am using Hartz Aspen bedding.

Back