Talia's tumor removal is today

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raindrop

Our 21 month old Talia is going in for tumor removal this morning. Our vet has done tumor removal on 3 of our other rats throughout the years. I am sure things will go well but there is still a uneasy feeling in my stomach.She is healthy otherwise. I should have taken Hallie in as well as I have run out of ideas for her. I may schedule an appt for her cuts for Friday and get some revolution.

Ann

Good luck with the surgery! When Raina had her tumor removed we had her in her own cage by herself for the first few days then I put one of the girls in with her that I knew wouldn't be rough with her. She seemed fine with that.

raindrop said:
I know this question has been asked many of times. Should I put her back in with her friends or leave her out over night by herself.

Ann

I always keep a rat by herself after surgery so that the others won't pull out the stitches. Especially for my Mazzy after she had a tumor removed by her eye.

I suggest to do the same at least a couple of days until you know she's recovering well enough to mingle.

But I'm ultra protective like that. :salut:

Good luck! I always get that feeling whenever my ratties go through surgery. It's called ratty mom anxiety! :panic:

Ann, it depends on your girls... if they are hyper girls then I would keep her by herself for the night but if not, then she can most likely go back in after a few hours.

Well Dale picked up Talia at lunchtime and brought her home. He put her in her own cage for the afternoon. When we got home from work she had ripped out all of her staples (5).So back to the vet. They stapled it again with glue in between them. I asked for some megacam and I will be giving her some shortly. He ordered for five days. Any suggestions how to keep them from scratching or pulling at the staples.

ann

I actually request NO staples on my rats unless absolutely necessary. I found internal stitching and glue is enough most times. They often really hate the feeling and will pick at the staples. The metacam will help though and hopefully you can give it to her soon. I had to have Selene's staples removed at 5 days...she had a pile of them out already and Joanne had to remove one or two when she was down here since they were out enough they could get snagged.

I put my girls right back in, watching the others for any bugging or undue attention to the incision site. I find the patient sniffs and gets sniffed then goes off quietly for a snooze and a drink. They just seem happier being with their friends. They just had a very Un-normal day so the normalcy reassures them :)

I have given her her metacam and put her back in with her two sister. I watched them for a while and things are good so far. I will check on them again shortly.

Ann

Well the night went well. The incision is still closed. I am banking on a few good days as I know that they heal fast. I noticed a big difference with her once she was back in her own environment with her sisters. Now to get Hallie fixed up tomorrow and we are free sailing for awhile. I have quite a few coming up to the two year so I know it could be a busy and rough road real soon.

Ann

Back